Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Navy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 6 Jan 2008 02:34

What roughly would have been the wages for a stoker in 1902 - I ask as have come across one who has 7 days to pay £47 into court! I am guessing that this was 9 - 12 mths wage but do not know.

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 6 Jan 2008 08:56

I don't have figues for 1902 but in 1920 the daily rates of pay for a Royal Navy Stoker varied between 3 shillings 3d and 6 shillings per diem (per day) depending on the class and period of service of the sailor so bearing in mind 1912 rates of pay would have been rather lower the £47 fine would have been very hefty especially given the 7 day deadline. As a guideline the average annual wage in England in 1912 was just over £97

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Jan 2008 11:21

Adjusted for the Retail Price Index, £47 in 1902 is the equivalent of more than £3,500 today.

However, in terms of perceived cost to the person at that time it would have seemed considerably more, as wages were far less, probably 4 to 5 times less than what they are today.

So, to the poor man in 1902, the £47 would seem more like £15,000 - £20,000 would to us today.

Are you sure the figure is correct, as it seem very high?

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 6 Jan 2008 11:50

Thank you both for info - the figure was actually £47.12s.3d. being the full costs incurred by the plaintiff in a divorce case! Our stoker was the co-respondent - wonder how he paid it - the RN would not have made him a loan - or did he go to prison for non-payment? Even if he managed to pay the costs - would he have been discharged from the RN?

TiddlyBow

TiddlyBow Report 6 Jan 2008 14:25

Chris.

The basic daily rate of pay in 1899 for a stoker was 2 shillings, I don't think it changed much by 1902!

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 6 Jan 2008 15:02

Its 1912 we are looking for not 1902 Chris...do you have those figures as the nearest I have is 1920. col

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 6 Jan 2008 19:28

Looks as if a guessed rate of pay in 1902 would have been £1 then - or not far off!