Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A query about marriage in 1890's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne in North London

Anne in North London Report 6 Jan 2008 10:55

I have found a GGUncle on the 1891 census working as a coachman, at a hall in Cheshire. Also on the image at the same residence is a Governess, born in Switzerland.

On the 1901 census, I have found them married and living with their young daughter in Hale, Cheshire. Here it states after her place of birth - Naturalized - I assume because of the marriage.

I have been through each page of marriages between 1891 and 1901 to find a marriage, I have also searched on FreeBMD. I believe that I have found a marriage that would be worth ordering the certificate for except that the marriage takes place in London.

Is it feasible that because she was born in Switzerland that the marriage took place in London for legal reasons?

Many thanks for your advice.

Anne

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jan 2008 11:00

Have a look on the National Archives site she may have taken Naturization and her record is availble from them.

Shirley

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Jan 2008 11:02

I would think it more likely that they were in London because of work. A great many people moved through London in the late 1800's, which is one reason why a lot of London register offices won't supply certificates for family history purposes - they would be inundated as so many people were born/married/died there.

If you know the name of the GGUncle's father, you could give this as a reference checking point when ordering the marriage certificate.

Kath. x

Anne in North London

Anne in North London Report 6 Jan 2008 11:11

Many Thanks Shirley and Kathleen.

Shirley - I'll have a look at the National Archives Site.

Kathleen - I hadn't thought about them moving to London for a while. I do have his fathers name, so I would be able to add that as a checking point.

Thanks for the advice.

Anne