Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If anyone if feeling bored ....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyS

PollyS Report 6 Jan 2008 14:14

Trying to find more details of my ancestor Thomas Peak. b1824c.

Have found him in 1851 with wife Catherine nee Sheering (from baby Thomas's birth cert). Children on census are Mary (8), Ann (5) and Thomas (1) living in Saffron Hill, Middlesex. Not sure of his occupation, looks like working stationer to me. This would fit in with the area they are living though as I believe this is the area of printing industry.

There is no record of the family in 1861 and presumably these are part of the Middlesex records that were lost. In 1871 I have found Catherine widowed and Thomas and one of the sisters.

What I am having trouble with is tracking Thomas and Catherine Sheering back to 1841. None that I have found seem to fit. I can't find a marriage for them and I am wondering about the girls in the family. It's just a hunch but I am wondering if the girls are Catherine's.

Anyone who is just starting out on this "for the rest of your lifetime" hobby please learn from my mistake and ensure that you are meticulous at keeping your records straight because at the moment I can't find the birth cert referred to above and have still to properly record all my findings. Having got stuck into tracing my ancestors I started back working full time and it's amazing how you forget how far you got etc.

Anyway, any suggestions with Thomas Peak pre 1851 would be very much appreciated.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Jan 2008 14:32

1841 on Findmypast as Sheiring ??

Name: Catherine Marine
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1826
Where born: Middlesex, England

Civil Parish: St James Clerkenwell
Hundred: Ossulstone (Finsbury Division)
County/Island: Middlesex

Street address:

Registration district: Clerkenwell
Sub-registration district: St James
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Catherine Marine 15
Mary Marine 50 not born in County
John Turner 30
Sarah Turner 35

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Jan 2008 14:44

I presume you have seen this birth

Name: Mary Ann Shearing
Year of Registration: 1846
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Shoreditch
County: London, Middlesex
Volume: 2
Page: 389

Probably wrong !!

PollyS

PollyS Report 6 Jan 2008 16:59

Thank you Glitter Baby. I think that Catherine Marine could well be Catherine Sheiring, certainly from the original transcript this looks more probable than Marine.

I'm not sure about the 1846. The two girls in the family, Ann and Mary, are confusing. There is a birth for Ann Peak 1843 in St Lukes area that fits the family but in later censuses Ann is the age that Mary would have been and Mary disappears. Catherine ends up living with Ann (married to Thomas Woodbridge).