Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which surname would they use?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Jan 2008 17:24

Hi I have ancestors whose surname was Coyne, some siblings were born and baptised in another county and the surname changed to 'Kind'. Everything else matches, I've got a birth certificate showing the surname 'Kind.' with parents surname matching. It is only the children born in Derbyshire that have surname 'Kind'. Other's are still Coyne.

What I want to know is - do I search for marriages for them as Coyne or Kind? Any of you marvelous geneologists out their have any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Lou

Iris

Iris Report 6 Jan 2008 17:32

Have you found the baptism records on the IGI? Is the spelling consistent between birth and baptism records?

I had a similar conundrum, where the names seem to be spelt differently across siblings, and within one person's records of BMD each was different again! It was especially noticeable where the parents were illiterate, my direct line kept her name the same through all her records, but she was literate, her siblings and parents were changing constantly.

So.. really... I think you're going to have to look for all eventualities!

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Jan 2008 17:36

Hi Iris, I have the actual baptism records for her and her brother, both are spelt the same. Her birth certificate is also spelt the same. I have found her in 1901 single, so know she may have married after that date, I cannot find any marriage or death for her with the surname Kind but I have found one marriage with the surname Coyne, and the area of marriage matches too. My line of thinking is that it is a good possibility that she and possibly the remaining 'kind' siblings are using the surname Coyne. I am thinking whether to gamble and get this marriage, but was wondering what other folk thought before I went ahead. Lou

Anne

Anne Report 6 Jan 2008 18:32

Dear Looby Loo

Just a thought: words with oi or oy were often pronounced as though spelled with an i. E.g. Coyne could have been pronounced as if it was spelled Kine. In which case, it's not much of a step to Kind.

Regards, Anne

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Jan 2008 18:36

Hi Anne, thanks for that tip, I wasn't aware of that, I just put it down to differnet accents. But it's very useful to know, thanks agian, Lou

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Jan 2008 18:38

I think the change is likely to be down to local accents.

If you know the father's name, you could stipulate this as a reference checking point if you order the marriage certificate.

Kath. x

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Jan 2008 18:45

Hi Kath,

My thoughts exactly regarding accents. Yes I do know father's name & am going to put it as a reference checking point. Think that I will have to order cert and see what happens.

Thanks again to you all for responding to my thread, your thoughts are very much appreciated, it's just nice to know your not thinking along the wrong lines.

Thanks again, Lou