Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rootsweb question Sorted thanks to Joy!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 6 Jan 2008 20:09

Hi does anyone know how you request a lookup in Ireland on Rootsweb. I notice by e-mails I receive that people have requested looKups in Ireland but I don't know what to do. I know maybe you have to pay but thats ok I don't mind that at all, just want to know how you do it. The e-mails I receive have mailto:[email protected] on them.

Betty

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 6 Jan 2008 20:19

Hi Betty,

You can request a lookup on rootschat on the Ireland boards.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,50.0.html

Don't know about rootsweb requests though.

Christine

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 6 Jan 2008 20:25

Thanks Christine,

I am on Rootschat and have tried to find the marriiage of my great grandparents in Ireland but not had any luck. I receive lots of e-mail from Rootsweb and somehow they always find the Birth, Marriage or Death record for the person. I think maybe these people who do the lookups live in Ireland and go to the records office for you if you pay the fee, I wouldn't mind at all paying if I could find the marriage I am looking for.

Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 7 Jan 2008 10:20

nudge

Joy

Joy Report 7 Jan 2008 10:25

I subscribe to rootsweb mailing lists, Betty. Which one is it?

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 7 Jan 2008 10:36

Hi Joy,

This is what I don't know how do you subscribe to the mailing lists, I am looking for Nothern Ireland either County Down or Antrim. I didn't even know about the lookups section until now.
I would like to find my Great grandmother marriage they lived in Smithfield area and the children were baptised in St Mary's RC church there. I am not very good at the geography of Nothern Ireland.
Joy can you tell me how much you pay for search of a marriage?

Betty

Joy

Joy Report 7 Jan 2008 10:44

Ok, I shall look for the method of subscribing (free) for those mailing lists, then you will be able to post on the lists and ask people for help.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 7 Jan 2008 10:50

Hi Joy,

Thank you so much Joy, I couldn't find out how to do it, tried several times. I know I receive e-mails and I can see people do lookups for others but just didn't know how or where on Rootweb you could ask.

Betty

Joy

Joy Report 7 Jan 2008 10:56

First of all, go to this site:
http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/index.html

This should be on the screen then:
Mailing Lists
A complete index to RootsWeb's
30,993 genealogy mailing lists!

Scroll down to International, then click on Northern Ireland.
You will then see names of counties in Northern Ireland; included are IRL-ANTRIM and NIR-DOWN.
So, click on the former for Antrim and you will see how to subscribe, ie
Subscribing. Clicking on one of the shortcut links below should work, but if your browser doesn't understand them, try these manual instructions: to join IRL-ANTRIM-L, send mail to [email protected] with the single word subscribe in the message subject and body. To join IRL-ANTRIM-D, do the same thing with [email protected].
Subscribe to IRL-ANTRIM-L
Subscribe to IRL-ANTRIM-D (digest)

I always subscribe to the digest form - you will understand why once you have done it - all posts from subscribers would then arrive in your inbox in one email; in the other form, they would appear each in an individual email.

Hope this makes sense. Have a go.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 7 Jan 2008 11:02

Many Thanks Joy,

Could never have done it without you, really appreciate all your help.
I just need to find this marriage of my great grandparents.

Betty

Joy

Joy Report 7 Jan 2008 11:06

You're welcome.
If you have any problems with it, it also says this:
For questions about this list, contact the list administrator at [email protected].

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 7 Jan 2008 11:58

Hello again Joy,

Sorry I didn't know you had added another message to the thread until now.

I am going to do all this later today, have to take hubby to doctor in an hour or so but will see about Rootsweb this afternoon.
If I have any problems as you say I will contact the administrator, thanks again Joy!!!

Betty.