Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how do some of you do it?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

driven insane!!!

driven insane!!! Report 6 Jan 2008 21:19

twice now, i have come on here in desperation, because i cant find someone in a certain census.
both times, someone here has found them straight away, both times with surnames mistranscribed. pudney was found as rudney, and poole as coole!
what id like to know is if there is some shortcut to finding mistranscibed names.... i cant see any way of doing it other than physically typing in possible mistranscriptions???

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 6 Jan 2008 21:24

What I usually do is:

Type first name, birth year, area, father's first name and mother's first name, leaving surname blank.

This usually works.

Or, I'll put in the first 3 letters of the surname followed by the * eg; Rud*

Hope this helps.

Deb:)

driven insane!!!

driven insane!!! Report 6 Jan 2008 21:29

thanks, i'll try that!

Heather

Heather Report 6 Jan 2008 22:23

Look at the census you have found them in and choose one of the kids with the most unusual first name and then follow the instructions above!

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 6 Jan 2008 23:50

& if someone finds something that you can't, ask them how they did it