Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish ancestors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 6 Jan 2008 21:26

I have had a problem finding information about my grandparents and great grandparents on my father's side. He died when I was 8 and there is no family left to ask that I am aware of.

As my father was born in Scotland I have been able to look on scotlandspeople and find the names of grand/greatgrandparents from birth, death and marriage certificates, but no place of birth, although I believed the family were originally from Ireland.

Today just going through some records on IGI (as you do) I found a James Freney, born in Sligo in 1871 - I had guesstimated the year of birth for James Franey as 1873.
His parents were named as John Freney and Beesy Phibbs. I have John Franey and Bridget Phibbs, and googling Beesy I found that Beesy is a pet name for Bridget.
So there is a possibility that this is my grandfather and great grandparents - it is an extracted record by the way.

But is this really enough? What I would please like is advice on where can I go from here. Will I get more information if I get the film or go to out local centre?

Thank you for your help
Lynda

Joy

Joy Report 6 Jan 2008 23:29

You could try ordering the film to look at, at your local LDS Centre or / and subscribe (free) to the rootsweb mailing list for Sligo to ask for advice.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 7 Jan 2008 07:19

Thank you Joy.

I will go to our nearest LDS centre (as soon as their opening hours and time off work coincide!)
Also thanks for the tip about rootsweb.

Lynda

Joy

Joy Report 7 Jan 2008 09:35

You're welcome. I have received a lot of help from members of rootsweb mailing lists, and am currently subscribed to ones for Devon, Cornwall and Suffolk.

Several years ago, I posted on the list for Galway about my family; on that occasion, there was little response.
However, about four years later, I received an email from someone who, whilst searching microfilm at an LDS Centre, had noticed the birth registration of my great-great-uncle - so, some "branches" can lie dormant for a while and can then be revived by someone else's kindness.