Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted child

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 7 Jan 2008 01:17

Just had contact via Genes from a likely relative who tells me that she used to know my husband's cousin well, cos she used to look after he adopted son's daughter.

We know nothing about an adopted son, but somehow it rings a bell with me, in that some relative has mentioned it in the past and I dismissed it as wrong.

Can I find out if a person adopted someone? I know I can't get the records of an adopted person, but this is the other way round, I want to know if my relative adopted a child.

Love

Margaret

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Jan 2008 08:39

There is a register of adopted people but all you will know is that SOMEONE of that name was adopted around a certain time. There will be no indication of whether or not the child was a baby or several years old.

If you know the birthday of the son, you could look for the birth registration in the GRO lists. If he was adopted it won't be there ( but there are times when entries are left off accidently, so don't take that as 'proof ' )

Gwyn