Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Passenger Lists on findmypast

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 7 Jan 2008 22:42

Does anyone know if these are 'complete'? I'm searching for ancestors who went to Australia - they are on the electoral roll for 1936 in Orange NSW, but can't find any record of their passage.

Thanks,

Sheila

Ivy

Ivy Report 7 Jan 2008 23:08

Hi Sheila

Do you have a limit on the time frame? Could they have been on Cook's first voyage? I think (I'll check in a minute) that the records start in 1890. Yes, only from 1890, so if they left earlier, they will not be on that main listing.

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 7 Jan 2008 23:09

Hi Shiela,

Have you searched passenger list on National Archives site. log on as guest, click on passenger index.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/Login.htm

Index to passenger arrivals
Search for passengers arriving in Fremantle, Western Australia, by ship between January 1926 and 1947. Note: Many ships bound for the eastern Australian states passed through Fremantle. The Fremantle passenger lists include all those passengers who disembarked in Fremantle. They often also include all other passengers who travelled further on the same ship and disembarked in other Australian or overseas ports.

Alternatively post us a few more details, names, dob etc and we will try to help you.

bye Helen

Sean Subexpired

Sean Subexpired Report 7 Jan 2008 23:15

It is not explained very clearly and explicitly on FMP is it! I assumed that for the periods available to search, the Board of Trade records were fully transcribed. The explanation leans heavily towards that interpretation.

Maybe your ancestors did not travel directly to Australia. Though I expect you must have already investigated that. My GG Uncle emigrated to Western Australia via Malaysia.

Ivy

Ivy Report 7 Jan 2008 23:23

Hi Sean

I understood that the BT27 records (1890 to 1960) have been transcribed up to 1939. Is some of the 1890 to 1939 period only partially transcribed?

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 7 Jan 2008 23:25

Thanks, Sean, I hadn't thought of checking that!

Details I have are:

Edward William Beard (b. c1873)
Emily Charlotte Beard (b. 1881) - his wife.

They were married in UK in 1910 but I don't know when they emigrated.

Sean Subexpired

Sean Subexpired Report 7 Jan 2008 23:33

Wow, thanks Helen in Brisbane, I never considered checking the Ozzie Records Office for information, doh! I've just found the scanned enlistment papers of my Great grandmother's brothers in 1915!!

To Ivy, my interpretation of the info on FMP is that the indexing of the records is complete between these dates. It would be very misleading of FMP if they weren't!

Ivy

Ivy Report 7 Jan 2008 23:41

Thanks Sean - so really Edward and Emily should be there, unless they went via some European port.

I can see why Sheila is having difficulties. There are eighteen Edward Beard names, (mainly Edward Raymond who was obviously a frequent traveller). Most are the wrong age. Age is not specified for travellers in 1910 and 1911, but the 1911 Edward was single and the 1910 traveller embarked on 7 Jan 1910 (although there were several Beards on that ship - Sheila, did they marry in the first week of 1910)?

Otherwise, it will be a matter of combing through the 73 E Beards travelling between 1910 and 1936 to various destinations!

Ivy

Ivy Report 7 Jan 2008 23:46

Hi Helen,

This is good - we can cross-check the records! The 1927 traveller was age 19, so it won't be that one. Your records start in 1926? So we can't cross-check that 1910 embarkation.

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 7 Jan 2008 23:55

Hi Ivy,

I just deleted my 1927 posting after cross checking with FMP, should have checked first. Yes you are quite correct, wrong Edward, to young.

bye Helen

Ivy

Ivy Report 7 Jan 2008 23:57

Hi Sheila,

I suspect the best way to search the Findmypast records is to look for Beard - any gender, no initials, so that you can scan for Beards travelling together and see whether the combination of their ages seems right. Sorry, not something I'm able to do at this time of night!

All the best

Ivy

Ivy Report 8 Jan 2008 00:02

Hi Helen,

Scanning down the Beards, and ignoring the singleton travellers, it seems, following Sean's thoughts, that they may have arrived via South Africa or Canada, which are the main destinations for more than one Beard (if you see what I mean)?

Do you have groups of Beards arriving from either of those countries?

For instance, in 1927, travelling from Liverpool to the Cape are a female aged 41 and a boy aged 3.

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 8 Jan 2008 00:08

Hi Shiela

I guess you have searched the nsw bdm. This looks like a possible death for Edward William in 1937 in Orange NSW

Reg/Date :24601/1937
Name BEARD
Given Names EDWARD WILLIAM
Father GEORGE
Mother ELIZA JANE
District ORANGE

and wife Emily Charlotte

Reg/Date 27166/1961
Name BEARD
Given Names EMILY CHARLOTTE
Father GEORGE
Mother ELIZABETH
District LIVERPOOL

Helen

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 8 Jan 2008 00:16

I've found them!!! I think - as Mr EW and Mrs EC Beard. Was confused at first as his age was given as 38, which is about right, but hers was 38 too. However, looking at the original document, hers looks more like a poorly written 28. It all seems to fit - sailing in November 1910 to Sydney - they were married Dec quarter 1910.

Wow Helen, thanks for the death info. That looks correct too - her father George was my g-grandfather. Thanks for your help everyone - time I hit the sack!

Sheila x

Sharon

Sharon Report 8 Jan 2008 02:09

Help! I know three relatives went to the US in the 1920s but I can't find their records on the Ellis Island site - any thoughts? I've tried the passenger lists from another site, but still struggling. I know two went to Chicago, any ideas where to go from here? Thanks

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 8 Jan 2008 06:41

Hi Shiela,

Looks like their son Edward George born 1919 in Orange on WW2 Nominal Roll. When he enlisted at Orange in 1941 NOK is Emlie Beard (father already dying in 1937)

Service Record
Name BEARD, EDWARD GEORGE
Service Australian Army
Service Number NX67227
Date of Birth 17 Jul 1919
Place of Birth ORANGE, NSW
Date of Enlistment 14 Jan 1941
Locality on Enlistment ORANGE, NSW
Place of Enlistment PADDINGTON, NSW
Next of Kin BEARD, EMLIE
Date of Discharge 16 Oct 1945
Rank Private
Posting at Discharge 2/33 AUSTRALIAN INFANTRY BATTALION
WW2 Honours and Gallantry None for display
Prisoner of War No

Possible marriage of Edward George the following year 1942 in Orange.

Reg/Date16002/1942
Name : BEARD
Given Names EDWARD GEORGE
Bride's Last Name MORRIS
Given Names : ADA BERYL
District : ORANGE

Death of a child of the marriage

Reg/Year 4810/1962
Name BEARD
Given Names KENNETH STEPHEN
Father EDWARD GEORGE
Mother ADA BERYL
District BANKSTOWN

another possible, think fathers name is mistranscribed.

Reg/Dat 29658/1968
Name BEARD
Given Names ERROL JOHN
Father EDWARD GRACE
Mother ADA BERYL
District BURWOOD

Helen