Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Taunton Records Office - Somerset

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 8 Jan 2008 09:08

A date for the diary of anyone living and researching in Somerset - the Record Office is holding an Introduction to Sources for Family History - Monday, 3 March - 10.30-5pm.

This should be great for those who are nervous about visiting a RO - I know I shall try and get along to it.

email: [email protected] to reserve a place.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 8 Jan 2008 12:19

It's a great records office.

I've spent hundreds of hours in there and it is fascinating.

Have fun. Don't forget to take a notebook and pencils plus a packed lunch and some money for the hire of a locker to put your bags and lunch in.

If wanting to do regular visits to a RO you will need to book places in advance and will need to get a reader's card (like a library card). That involves having some proof of identity but a phone call to the individual RO will give you the chance to ask what they like you to do and what particular rules they may have.

Best wishes
Sue
x