Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ww1 deserter

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marcie

Marcie Report 8 Jan 2008 16:29

hi
i have found info on ancestry about an ancester who deserted in ww1, cannot find out what happened to him, has anyone any idea where i should be looking
appreciate any help
marcie

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 8 Jan 2008 16:39

Marcie

Are you saying you've found his pension record on ancestry?

If he did desert then unfortunately, there's a high chance that he was shot - sorry.

Are you 100% sure as if this was the case I wouldn't have thought he'd be entitled to a pension.

The National Archives is the place to look and or visit
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

If you let us have his name we can double check for you.

MB

Marcie

Marcie Report 8 Jan 2008 16:44

hi
i have found a certficate of deserters balance. it says
the balance credit on the non-effective a/c of no 355434 bunch c.h. 7th london regt. on the occassion of his desertion on the 24.04.1918 was 3/5 and this ammount was accounted for in the pay list of regimental wing for the period ending june 1918,
looking at it now i,m begining to think that maybe he went awol for a day ( he did,nt appear to be serving abroad) and so was fined, part of me thinks that might be so but on the other hand it was war time, i have,nt found a death for him in the following months, not sure what to think
regards marcie

Marcie

Marcie Report 8 Jan 2008 16:46

sorry his name was charles henry bunch born in st. pancras 1899,

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 8 Jan 2008 17:28

Marcie

Having looked at his Service Record on Ancestry - it does say deserted but this could mean a number of things resulting in him not showing up for duty. If he had deserted properly there would have been more punishment than that quoted on the record.

However, you have his regiment, his service number, dates of joining etc you could look further at TNA to see if there's anything else on him.

I noticed that there's no medal card for him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just too slow ;-)

MB

Marcie

Marcie Report 8 Jan 2008 18:09

thanks for all your help, will try what you suggest & see what else i can find
many thanks marcie