Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Twins Marry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pam

Pam Report 11 Jan 2008 16:32

I wonder how many times this happens ?

Twins separated at birth and adopted by separate parents later married each other without realising they were brother and sister.

The pair were granted an annulment after a High Court judge ruled the marriage had never validly existed.

The identities of the British pair and details of the relationship and marriage have been kept secret.

But it is known that they were separated soon after birth.

They were never told they were twins.

They did not discover they were blood relatives until after the wedding.

The case was uncovered by Lord Alton in a conversation with a High Court judge.

He used it to highlight perceived deficiencies in the Human Embryology and Tissues Bill, currently going through Parliament.

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 11 Jan 2008 16:35

Hi

Probably far more often than anyone realises I fear.

Mary

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 14 Jan 2008 01:52

The situation is so sad, for the couple concerned it must be worse than a divorce or a death of one of the pair. Most of us cannot comprehend the distress that they have gone through.

Margaret

Margaret Report 14 Jan 2008 15:52

An absolute nightmare for those concerned.

Perhaps we should all ask ourselves where does Data Protection end and Freedom of Information begin or vice versa.

M. Steer

Jeannette

Jeannette Report 15 Jan 2008 22:37

I was under the impression that when somebody who was adopted went to get married the Register checked to make sure that the couple were not in fact blood relatives????

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 16 Jan 2008 07:32

But what if they were never told that they were adopted - I don't recall having to produce my birth certificate, and my wife can't remember having to send me a copy of hers (we livived in different cities.) when I applied for a licence. Okay, not UK but similar.
My brother knew that he was adopted, but he married in another country - he could have married his half-sister. So?