Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot Matches! William Davis. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 11 Jan 2008 17:10

I've just trawled though my 'New' hot matches and as per usual another 5 pages of William Davis's.

I wonder just how many William Davis there are on this website.

As mine are mainly from small villages in Somerset.......

why the b****y heck do they match up with those born everywhere else in the UK and every b****y Continent!

Sorry...but I do feel better now that I have a bit of a moan!

Huia

Huia Report 11 Jan 2008 18:46

My hot matches were mostly for Ann Taylor, with quite a few James Taylor and some Thomas Taylor. Only one or two of other names.
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 11 Jan 2008 18:49

I think my biggest grouch with hot matches is that when I discard a not match, things are rearranged on the pages. I have to go through the pages several times to find ones that I have missed, because they have been moved to a different page.

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Jan 2008 20:17

Dear Huia,

I had a similar problem (in a completely different situation) and found it helped to work backwards thru the list.

NightingalesLostnFound

NightingalesLostnFound Report 11 Jan 2008 20:23

Teresa, I have to agree with you, half the time they are for very very distant relatives, aunties, uncles dogs etc. Well OK not the dog then!!!

Huia

Huia Report 11 Jan 2008 20:41

Malcolm, I have worked backward, forwards, sideways, standing on my head, it seems to make no difference.
Huia.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 11 Jan 2008 20:49

hahahaha -- James Hill. William Hill.

Surprisingly, Alice Cooper. And Elizabeth Pearce.

And the ones who aren't mine were apparently extraordinarily fertile and produced several thousand descendants, at least a dozen of whom sign up at GR every month ...

Oh, for avoiding the rearranging problem:

1. Work backward through the list, as mentioned.

2. When you open one of the matches, right-click and open in new tab/window. Then when you click "discard", just close the tab/window. Your hot matches page will be right where you left it, just as you left it.

(Window works best since you don't have to go back and forth between tabs: just close the new window and you're back where you started, and can open the next alleged match.)

Generally speaking, opening things in new tabs/windows -- like from search results in google -- is a good policy. You never lose your place where you started.

You can do it here for the boards -- any post you want to read, right-click on it, open in new window/tab, spend all the time you want in it, close it, go back to the main board list you were at.

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 11 Jan 2008 21:46

Yep...I agree...work backwards.

Start with the last page and tick each one after you've looked at it......, until you've finished checking that page ......then click 'discard' to lose the ones you don't want. Which in my case is 99.9% most of the time!

If you see what I mean.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 11 Jan 2008 21:59

Do try my suggestion, Teresa. It's faster and neater.