Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 12 Jan 2008 07:25

My name is George palmer and for the last thity years I have been trying to find the marriage of my great grandfather John Palmer.
He married a Sarah Lee according to bith certificates that I have of the children. According the the 1851 Census they appear John 29, Sarah 26 James 4, Thomas 2, Bridget. According to the Census the children were born in Birmingham, however on the 1861 Census James is born in Newcastle Under Lyme Staffordshire. I have been through all the records for Warwickshire and Staffordshire but cannot find their marriage.
It would be greatly appreciated if somebody had some ideas as to what I should do.
I thank you in anticipation.

George Palmer

Huia

Huia Report 12 Jan 2008 07:38

Perhaps they did not get married. My gt gt grandparents were b in (respectively) Cheadle Staffs and Dilhorne Staffs. Their children were b in Liverpool, and I cannot find a marriage anywhere. But then if they did marry it would have been pre registration and I would have to go through all the parish records in all the churches in England to find it. I have looked in the obvious ones of Cheadle, Dilhorne and Liverpool, but there is a limit to the amount of time I can spend trawling through films.

Huia :(((

Joan

Joan Report 12 Jan 2008 08:51

Hi George

Are these your family?

Sarah Helena Palmer - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 18 JUL 1852 St Chad, Birmingham, Warwick, England

3. Brigitta Palmer - International Genealogical Index

4. Brigitta Palmer - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 10 MAR 1850 St Chad, Birmingham, Warwick, England

St Chads Birmingham is a Roman Catholic church..
means they were proabably married in an RC church.
Now, their marriage doesn't show up on freebmd...you might ask Birmingham Central Library about where Catholic Marriage records might be kept

Or...did they marry abroad...any Irish Connections?

Good luck
Joan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jan 2008 10:54

Purely for reference.....1851 census

Name: Sarah Palmer
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1825
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: John
Where born: Newcastle, Staffordshire, England

Civil Parish: Birmingham St George
County/Island: Warwickshire

Registration district: Birmingham
Sub-registration district: St George
ED, institution, or vessel: 27
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 98
Household Members: Name Age
Bridget Palmer 1
James Palmer 4
John Palmer 29 b. Ireland. Occ: Saddler
Sarah Palmer 26
Thomas Palmer 2

Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jan 2008 11:03

Could the marriage have taken place in Ireland?

Reg

Joan

Joan Report 12 Jan 2008 18:32

Hi George
If you google
'marriage registers of St Chad RC church Birmingham' a lot of useful stuff comes up.
However, the archivists at Birmingham Central library are very helpful and they might know where the records are held..as i said earlier, but also whether catholic marriages appear in the civil registration registers...why this marriage doesn't show up mystifies me!
But it could be they married in sarah's town...
Cheers
Joan