Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census help please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Huia

Huia Report 12 Jan 2008 19:02

I have an In Memoriam card for Lydia Cottrell who died Dec 30, 1900 aged 84, and was interred in Ilford Cemetery.
I am reasonably sure it was my gt gt grandmothers sister Lyda (sic) Harvey who was b 29 Sept 1816, according to a transcript I was sent from some parish reg, I think in Essex. (Gt gt grandmother was b in Shoplands).
I cannot find any Lydia Cottrell on the 1891, 71, 61 or 51 census that might be mine. I tried different spellings of both names, and I tried wild cards. I am wondering if she appeared with a different first name on the censuses. Any help appreciated.
Perhaps somebody could find a marriage for her?
Thank you.
Huia.

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 12 Jan 2008 19:10

Henry Cottrell 37, Micham, Surrey
Lydia Cottrell 34, Puttywell, Essex

???

imp

imp Report 12 Jan 2008 19:11

Lydia Cottiells
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1817
Relation: Sister
Where born: Eastwood, Essex, England

Civil Parish: Lambeth
Ecclesiastical parish: St Saviour
Town: London City
County/Island: London

Lydia Cottiells 74
Laura Feuttell 21
Fanny Fuller 51
Phebe Gane 66 Head, Widow

Class: RG12; Piece: 415; Folio 9; Page 10; GSU roll: 6095525.

Gail.

Huia

Huia Report 12 Jan 2008 19:24

Thank you all for your quick responses.

Gail, the 1891 is definitely her as she had a sister Phebe who is said to have married a Gane.

Seaham Lass and Elouise, I am not sure about the others, could be perhaps.

Thank you all.

Huia

Huia Report 12 Jan 2008 19:41

Elouise, I have just seen your last 3 postings. Lydia did have a sister Hannah b 1813, I did wonder if she was the lodger aged 71 in the 1881 census, but cant be sure because of the wrong age.

I have been looking again on GR records with the info given, cant find Lydia Cottiells or Phebe Gane. GR records seem to be useless. I guess you lot must be looking elsewhere.

Thank you. Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 12 Jan 2008 20:12

Many thanks.

Huia

Huia Report 12 Jan 2008 21:44

Thank you, you have been busy. I have been going through my boxes full of paper trying to get rid of some. Still about 50 yrs work to do there!
Huia.

imp

imp Report 13 Jan 2008 00:51

Marriage for Phebe

Phebe Harvey, 1859 Q4
District: City of London
County: London
Volume: 1c
Page: 227

John Gane on same page.

Gail

Huia