Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

my tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally Hine

Sally Hine Report 12 Jan 2008 23:07

hello, please help, im having a bit of bother with plotting my tree on genes reunited, my great grandfathers sister married his wifes father, which ever way i go im having to put him in twice once as my great grandmothers father, and again as my great grandfathers sisters husband, is it possible to link him to both of them,any help will be welcome

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jan 2008 23:11

The GR program does not allow for inter-marrying.....

You have put in duplicate entries, with notes cross-referencing

The PAF (free from LDS) allows such entries.........

Reg

Clou

Clou Report 12 Jan 2008 23:37

And get a Family Tree Maker programme. They are only about 5 to 10 pounds basic version

I had one for xmas... brilliant.. and allows inter marriage and then if u like import file from FTM onto genes.

Clare

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 13 Jan 2008 00:49

You are better off using a family tree programme for several reasons.

One is the fact that interfamily marriages can't be recorded properly on GR.

A good FT programme means you can enter/edit your tree more easily, you don't have to be online to use the programme and it is easier to manage who has access to information.

If you add notes to your tree on here then they can be viewed by anyone with access to your tree, if you keep a tree offline you can add whatever you want and it is all kept "out of sight".

Glen