Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Software

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TrulyMadly

TrulyMadly Report 13 Jan 2008 05:13

Does anyone download their gedcoms and incorporate them into family tree software? If so, which would you recommend? Ease of amalgamation is most important to me, as I have over 1300 entries that I'd rather not have to revisit individually. Thank you, in advance. Kate

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 13 Jan 2008 09:52

Quite a few folks do download their gedcoms. In fact the GEDCOM was devised to do just what you mention, transferring large and complex amounts of info quickly and easily from one programme or pc to another.

There are varied programmes you could use, (i use FTM so can't say how easy others are to use).

I don't know about any other software but with FTM if you have any inter family marriages (ie cousins who married for example) and on GR you have the names entered twice then FTM will ask if any duplicated names and date combos are the same person.

If you say "yes" to the prompt then FTM will put all those folks in the correct relationships and places in your tree and they will appear just the once instead of twice.

Two things to remember though

When you download/upload your tree as a GEDCOM you won't transfer any images (photographs or census images, certs etc) as a GEDCOM is text only.

Any notes that you add would also be included in the transfer, so if you upload back to Genes (for instance if you are updating your tree on here) then all your notes and additional info is transferred too.

FTM allows you to exclude notes from a GEDCOM if you wish but it is a two stage process.

PAF is free, FTM will cost up to around £10 but don't bother with FTM 2008, it isn't as easy to use or as good as the earlier 2005 or 2006 versions.

Glen

TrulyMadly

TrulyMadly Report 13 Jan 2008 16:00

Thanks for your comprehensive and extremely helpful reply. I will seek out a copy of FTM and see how I get on. Kate