Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pub Landlords

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Moira

Moira Report 13 Jan 2008 10:54

Please does anyone know of a site where I could get info, on pub landlords in Selby 1863/64 I am trying to find a Thomas Ince Kerr he was only a land lord after 1861 census because he was still in Rotherham Yorkshire on that census and he Died in 1864
Thank you Moira

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 13 Jan 2008 12:37

I don't think there is anything online, at best if you know the name of the public house(s) then you might find something an a local/regional history site or references to location of documents on a2a or national archives websites.

The reference library might have something or failing that the local FHS might be able to give you some guidance.

Glen

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 14 Jan 2008 01:02

Moira, I'd contact the current landlord of the pub!

They are always interested in a bit of history that can promote the pub.

Margaret

LD

LD Report 14 Jan 2008 07:51

Perhaps the Licensing Records office at the relevant Magistrates Court keeps old records ??

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 14 Jan 2008 10:53

Hi Moira

I was lucky enough to find the licensing records for one of my rellies at the record office local to the area where the pub was.

If...and it's a big if!...the records have survived I would have thought they'd be at either the Borthwick Institute in York or the East Riding County Records Office at The Treasure House in Beverley.

East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Local Studies
The Treasure House
Champney Road
Beverley
Telephone number: 01482 392790

Borthwick Institute, University of York, Heslington, YORK, YO10 5DD
Tel: 01904 321166.

Jeanette x

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 14 Jan 2008 11:06

Check with the local branch of CAMRA see if they have any info. Our local one has researched the history and has the names of the landlords going back 200 years for the pubs in the town

Willsy once more

Willsy once more Report 14 Jan 2008 20:51

Might be worth a look here too

http://www.pubhistory.freeserve.co.uk/phs/howto.htm

Willsy

Clou

Clou Report 14 Jan 2008 21:15

http://www.1881pubs.com

very useful site i had success few months back.. but unsure if it will help u though.

Clare

Moira

Moira Report 14 Jan 2008 21:22

Thankyou everyone who has replied, I am so sorry I have not been able to get back to you before.Due to ill health I sometimes cannot sit at the computer. Thankyou all for your tips and I will certainly look on the sites you have given me.
Again thank you all.
Moira