Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help! Cant find record of death!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 15 Jan 2008 12:50

I cant find any record of death for John Gambida/Gombita/Gombida. I know he died either 1948 or 1949. Born 1885 in Czech Republic and went to USA in 1909. He died in Ohio USA.
Why cant I seem to find anything at all?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Sam

Heather

Heather Report 15 Jan 2008 14:23

Probably because you are using name search freebmd that is still being transcribed by volunteers and is only up to the early part of the 20th century so far (bless them!).

You need to use a pay to view site like ancestry or findmypast with the complete index for a date that late.

NB Blimey, just noticed you said he died in the states - so where have you been looking? - so ignore the above - you need someone with the US records - which not many people have. Go over to Records Board and ask for a US death look up.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jan 2008 16:03

Using soundex for the surname, there are apparently 5 records of deaths in Ohio, although the years you mention are not listed

To access them, you have to be a subscriber to Ancestry.com

Reg