Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Asylum in Carmarthen...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Abigail

Abigail Report 15 Jan 2008 21:40

Ok, I am looking for another one of my lunatics, whom I believe to have died in the asylum in Carmarthen.

What I would like to know is,

How do I find out more about the asylum itself?

and

Where would I find my James McLean's inmate records?

and

He died in there so would that be recorded on the index as an area or the asylum?

Many thanks for any and all suggestions from you clever people!

Abigail

Sam

Sam Report 15 Jan 2008 22:11

His death should be registered on the GRO index as normal, under whichever registration district covered the area that the asylum was in.

As for records, try the County Records Office that covers Carmarthen.

Sam x

Eileen

Eileen Report 15 Jan 2008 22:45

Interestingly the Carmarthen Workhouse building is up for sale - don't know if this was previously the asylum, it looks pretty old. Can't remember which site it was on, could have been Fish4 or Houseweb or some such internet site.
Eileen

Abigail

Abigail Report 15 Jan 2008 23:38

Thanks Sam and Eileen!

I have now been sidetracked by his father who we believed to drowned in the sinking of the Lord Marmion on Nov 30 1883!

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 16 Jan 2008 01:29

Hi Abigail,

If you google Carmarthan Lunatic Asylum you will find a link to The National Archives which may be of some help to you.

Linda

Abigail

Abigail Report 16 Jan 2008 20:30

Thanks everyone!

By the way Dorothy do you know what area your grandfather's death was recorded as in the indexes?

Thanks

Abigail

Eileen

Eileen Report 20 Jan 2008 22:28

Still don't know if it is the same building, but the one I said about, above that I had seen for sale, is in the Sunday Times Property pages today. It is £450,000, and has planning permission to be turned into 'posh' flats. It is referred to as 'Poorhouse and Infirmery' so maybe it was the Asylum. Apparently up until a few years ago for a while it was the County Council Offices - 'Lunatics running the Asylum' maybe -or perhaps Carmarthen Council are better than some!!!!!

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 20 Jan 2008 22:34

No carmarthen council are the same as the rest but what about the national library of wales in aberystwyth for records as well .theyre very good for a lot of welsh records.
vivienne