Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice Needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 16 Jan 2008 15:10

I have come to a bit of a dead end and would be greatful of some advice.My great great grandfather was John Edward Anderson I don't know who his parents were so i ordered his marriage cert hoping it would give me a lead.When it came his fathers name was not on the cert.
Can anyone give me some advice as to how to proceed with finding his parents.
John was born in Newington Kent round 1851 possibly 1856 his age keeps changing.
Thank you
Sandra

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Jan 2008 15:16

That probably means that he was illegitimate.

Who were the witnesses to the marriage?

When did he marry...........month and year?

Who did he marry?

What was his address at the time?

How old was he on his wedding day?

Reg

Barbara

Barbara Report 16 Jan 2008 15:26

Hi Sandra
I don't know if this is the right person but John Anderson is listed as in the workhouse on the 1861 census with James Anderson a year older. I found James on the 1851 census with his family - father William born 1810 in Bobbington,Kent, agricultural labourer and mother, Sarah, born 1814 in Newington. There were other siblings as well. If it's the right family it looks like the parents died. Hope this is some use
Barbara

Sandra

Sandra Report 16 Jan 2008 15:41

Thanks to all for your advice
Reg, The names of the marriage witnesses don't ring any bells.He married on 7 November 1885 at Milton Registry Office John was a widow when he married Eliza Hurved.Johns address was Crown Road Milton he was 28 which makes him born around 1858.
Ann, On Johns marriage cert he is just John Anderson on his daughters marriage cert he was John Edward Anderson
Barbara, I have found that family in the census and wondered if this was his family.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Jan 2008 15:46

In 1891, he is aged 38, and his wife 24, so perhaps he fibbed when he married, to make the gap seem smaller.

Reg

Sandra

Sandra Report 16 Jan 2008 15:51

He 's abit of a mystery my gran told my uncle that John's father was in the crimean war and was there at The Charge of the Light Brigade whether this is true I've no idea
Sandra

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Jan 2008 15:55

There are at least 2 Newingtons in Kent.

There is one west of Folkestone, ( near Channel Tunnel now) which is sometimes referred to as Newington-next-Hythe....but locally just as Newington.

...an alternative maybe?

Gwyn

Sandra

Sandra Report 16 Jan 2008 15:57

Thanks Gwyn I'll see what I can find on Newington-next-Hythe
Sandra