Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Disappearing marriage data again!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 17 Jan 2008 09:52

I have just emailed GR Support (copied below), yet again about this problem. I am finding it a real nuisance now as I'm being emailed by some contacts asking if I know particular marriage dates - which I must have typed in at least 3 times now as they are pretty crucial to making sense of one section of my tree.

Tracey

--------------------------------------
I have contacted you on many previous occasions about the GR's tree losing the marriage data I have entered. The issue still has not been fixed. I am noticing that the data isn't saving properly. I type in the marriage date and place and press save. Sometimes it appears to save yet when I return to that individual later, the marriage fields are empty and I have to reenter the information.

Could you please look into this and fix it. It really ought to have been sorted out long before now.
Thank you,.

Thelma

Thelma Report 17 Jan 2008 10:23

I had this same problem.
If I remember correctly;
When you remove what was there you have to save changes,before you enter new details,as well as after.
PS
When you enter details of a marriage they appear automatically under both husband and wife.
Both have to be changed before you make alterations.

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 18 Jan 2008 10:21

GR Support has replied with
"I can see that you are using Internet explorer 6 please upgrade this to Internet Explorer 7 and the site will then work fine."

The only problem is, I do not understand how changing upgrading my browser will change something housed on GR's servers. Some of my data was entered via the library computer (non 1E6) and even that has vanished.

How can data which has been successfully saved and, indeed may still be there when viewed a few days later, subsequently disappear on its own?

I am well-puzzled and still think it is GR's problem.

Tracey

SimonSez

SimonSez Report 18 Jan 2008 11:20

I once thought that it was me that was "slipping up" with this problem.
Then I realised ,that after making changes to marriages, that I was possibly clicking on the SAVE next to the persons ,personal details and not the persons death & marriage details. So when ever I make any changes to marriages, I click both the SAVE boxes.Seems to be ok now.

By the way ,I upgraded to internet explorer 7 as the poster of this thread was told to .Megga mistake. It now hangs up on me every time I use it.I now only use mozilla firefox as my main browser- much more robust than IE 7and faster too.

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 18 Jan 2008 13:36

Simon, I decided not to switch to IE7 after reading of the problems other folk were having. You were not alone!
Tracey