Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Warning - Free Trial

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 17 Jan 2008 10:21

I saw a post on another Family Tree Message Board yesterday and want to warn people to be carefull. It concerns the Family Tree Software package Who Do You Think You Are - Family Tree Maker.

With what it says the package includes a 14 day free trial to Ancestry.com. This person did the free trial but decided not to subscribe. They have just got her Credit Card statement and £199.95 has been taken from their account by TGN Ancestry.

They have telephoned them and hopefully is being credited.

If anyone has got this package or decides to do one of the many free trials that are on the net PLEASE READ THE SMALL PRINT AND TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

Christine

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 17 Jan 2008 11:31

These trials are usually fine but you must either email or phone to cancel before the time is up or you wll be charged for the year.

Christine

Heather

Heather Report 17 Jan 2008 11:37

Ancestry are really a good company and Im sure they will sort this out for her. I guess its just a case of being on the ball and making sure you tell them that you dont want to continue after the trial. They definitely arent scam artistes - I guess its just cost efficient accounting- they do tell you to cancel before the end of the 14 days when they ask you for the credit card details.

I cant imagine turning down a sub after a trial though! Ive had my sub for 4 years and I cancelled once and felt lost without it so resubbed.

Christine

Christine Report 17 Jan 2008 11:54

Yes I realise this is what happens but I thought I would warn people, there are a lot of new people starting on their Family Tree and might not realise you have to cancel.

Christine