Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed - census look-ups

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terri

Terri Report 17 Jan 2008 13:48

Looking for Frederick James Head b. 1834/5 Eastbourne, Sussex.

He is living with his wife Sarah and two children on the 1861 census, but I cannot find him on the 71 or 81.

On the 1871 census his wife is living in Eastbourne with 7 children states 'wife of engineer'.

On the 1881 census she is living with her sister in Hastings.

I have found him in Post Office Directory of 1866 - Engineer to the Waterworks, the Borough Old Town.

He was obviously not popular with his father-in-law as in his Will of 1885 he states 'to Sarah wife of Frederick James Head, now in service at 15 Norland Place, Nottinghill, London, for her own sole and seperate use'.

On the 1861 census I found him transcribed as Frederick James.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'd love to find him.

Regards Terri

Llamedos

Llamedos Report 17 Jan 2008 21:37

Hi Terri,

Using Ancestry I cannot find ANY Frederick [James] Head born circa 1834 at Eastbourne!!!

However, there are entries 1861 to 1891 for a Frederick Head, with wife Sarah in Suffolk -
Have you proof that Frederick James Head was born at Eastbourne in 1843 ish?

Terri

Terri Report 18 Jan 2008 13:35

Many thanks for looking.

Frederick is not with Sarah on the 1871 or 1881 as I have found her on these two census. So he is either with someone else or a lodger!

I have him with his parents and siblings on the 1841 census in Eastbourne, all born in county.

On the 1861 census states born Eastbourne.
Also on the IGI born 1834, with correct wife and father.

Regards Teresa

Ivy

Ivy Report 19 Jan 2008 08:42

- and 1841 for ref:

Name: Frederic Head
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1835
Where born: Sussex, England

Civil Parish: Eastbourne
Hundred: Eastbourne
County/Island: Sussex

Street address:

View Image

Registration district: Eastbourne
Sub-registration district: Eastbourne
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Ann Head 7
Frederic Head 6
Frederick Head 25
Maria Head 3
Rebwiah Head 4
Sarah Head 26
Victoria Head 4 Mo
William Head 2

These are the only two Fred* Head names on the 1841 census for Sussex

Terri

Terri Report 19 Jan 2008 12:26

Hi Libby

Many thanks for going to the trouble of looking up Sarah but I have found her already.

I am trying to find Frederick on the 1871 and 1881. He is not with his family - I can only assume he is a lodger or with living with someone else!! I cannot find his death until I know what part of the country he is in.

Regards Terri

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jan 2008 13:21

If he were an engineer he may have worked in other parts of the country. The ages of the kids will narrow down a death and Id have thought the father in laws will would have referred to "widow" rather than wife if he were dead at that time.

Terri

Terri Report 19 Jan 2008 17:15

Libby - sorry didn't answer your question, have only been able to find one child on any census after 1871, Frederick. In 1881 he was in Poplar, 1891, Stratford and 1901 West Ham.

Regards Terri

Terri

Terri Report 19 Jan 2008 17:18

Hi Ivy

The two Frederick's on the 1841 census are the correct family, the son is Frederick James and the father Frederick William.

Regards Terri

Terri

Terri Report 19 Jan 2008 17:22

Hi Heather

Yes I agree, Sarah's father would not have needed to mention him if he were dead, so I know he died after the Will was written 1885, but not knowing where he was in 1871 or 1881 makes it difficult to pinpoint him.

Regards Terri

Ivy

Ivy Report 20 Jan 2008 03:10

Hi Terri, just posting 1851 for ref:

Name: Fredrick Head
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1835
Relation: Son
Father's Name: James (this is his grandfather)
Where born: Eastbourne

Civil Parish: Eastbourne
County/Island: Sussex

Registration district: Eastbourne
Sub-registration district: Westham
ED, institution, or vessel: 1a

Household schedule number: 213
Household Members:
Name Age
Fredrick Head 34 father - engineer
Fredrick Head 16 (the one sought for 1871 and 1881)
George Head 4
James Head 63 baker (head of household)
Kathrine Head 14
Maria Head 13
Sarah Head 36
Thomas Head 3

Ivy

Ivy Report 20 Jan 2008 03:12

Hi Terri,

Does the will mean that Sarah has moved to Notting Hill, or that Frederick is working there?

I wonder if Frederick emigrated? Ancestry.com (Sorry not a subscriber) appears to have references to FRederick James Head in both Australia and in Canada.

Terri

Terri Report 20 Jan 2008 09:53

Ivy

I have assumed (maybe wrongly) that Frederick has left Sarah and she has found work 'in service' to support herself. Also when she inherits her father's money she goes to live with her sister & husband.

I have wondered if he emigrated, I will ask for another look up - maybe I will strike lucky! Maybe most of the children went with him as I can only find Frederick after 1871.

Many thanks Terri