Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newbie scratching his head

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 17 Jan 2008 13:55

Hi

I'm trying to find out what happened to my grandfather Joseph Garratt Fisher born Q3 1895 (Holborn 1b 705)

On my father's birth certificate F G Fisher 23 aug 1918, JG Fisher is listed as a driver RFA (I assume Royal field Artillery).

My Grandmother Lillian Fisher (nee Coles remarried in Q1 1923 (Keen)

We were under the impression that J G Fisher was killed in action in the 1st world war. I managed to find the death of a Jospeh Fisher (Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery ) killed in action 22nd April 1917. But I have no idea if this is one of the same?.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out what happened to J G Fisher?

Many thanks in advance.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 17 Jan 2008 14:06

I doubt if the Joseph you found killed in action is the correct one as the time between the death you found and your fathers birth is too great.

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 17 Jan 2008 14:14

No Surname Rank Service Number Date Of Death Age Regiment/Service Nationality Grave/Memorial Ref. Cemetery/Memorial Name
1 FISHER, J G Private 24303 24/03/1918 47 Hampshire Regiment United Kingdom I. P. 4. CHOCQUES MILITARY CEMETERY
Page 1

I founf this on the CWGC site ,could this be him

Nicky

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 17 Jan 2008 14:22

Karen I have checked the Ancestry military records, and there does not appear to be an entry for him, first place I looked, but not yet seen an entry for someone KIA.

RobG

RobG Report 17 Jan 2008 14:24

Further to the record quoted by Nicky:

"Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Robert Fisher, of Tunbridge Wells, Kent; husband of Louise Fisher, of 59, Ayinby Rd., Peckham, London. Served in the South African Campaign."

Hope this might help.

Rob

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 17 Jan 2008 14:33

Taking another look at it .....it can`t be your grandfather this J G Fisher was 47 when he died in 1918.

Nicky

RobG

RobG Report 17 Jan 2008 15:16

Improbable, but not impossible. I have people fathering children at an older age in my tree (younger/second wives, etc).

Rob

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 17 Jan 2008 19:11

RobG,

When I said that the Joseph on the CWGC records couldnt be his grandfather, it wasn`t because I felt he was too old to father children, ....I had re read Roberts original posting and realised he`d said his grand father was born in 1895.......meaning he was only in his twenties during the war years, sorry if you misunderstood., probavly didn`t explain very well. LOL

Nicky

RobG

RobG Report 17 Jan 2008 21:47

Nicky,

I missed that on first read through too. Can't be him then. Back to the drawing board!

Rob