Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kellys Trade Directories

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maisy

Maisy Report 18 Jan 2008 10:25

Can anybody tell me where I might find these directories. I'm looking for information on my grandfather who owned some shops in 1930's. I went to the local library the other day but they only hold certain years and I couldn't find the information that I wanted. Is there anywhere else I might find them?

Thanks
Eliane

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 18 Jan 2008 10:35

Some of them are on line, try the Historical Directories site at:

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp

Maisy

Maisy Report 18 Jan 2008 10:44

Colin

Thanks for that but unfortunately they only go up to 1919, I need later ones.

Eliane

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 18 Jan 2008 11:18

Sorry Elaine didn't notice the decade you were talking about (better put my reading glasses on).
Check with your library to see if there is a copy of the one you need at another branch of the library, I ordered one through my local library and it got transferred to the local library for me to borrow.
Other than that you might have to buy a copy from Kelly (think they are about £6) and come in the form of a CD rom, Have a look at:

http://www.kellys-i.com/home/index.php

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 18 Jan 2008 11:27

Just noticed Matt has posted on Gen at 11.17 he has access to a load of Kelly's have a look at his thread to see if the directory you are looking for is listed as he has kindly offered to do look ups...Col

Maisy

Maisy Report 18 Jan 2008 11:48

Colin

Just been off line for a while but I'll have a look at Matt's thread and see if he can help me.

Thanks again
Eliane

Victoria

Victoria Report 18 Jan 2008 12:35

And you could probably find them listed in the phone book too! I found my grandparents business listed at a similar time.

Victoria

Michael

Michael Report 18 Jan 2008 19:23

Have you had a look on E-Bay?There are some firms selling copies of all areas and years on disc.

Mike