Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BMD certificates - is it possible to get for less

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fiona

Fiona Report 18 Jan 2008 14:22

Hi

I was just about to order a death certificate when I found out that it would cost £10. Is there a cheaper way to get certificates ie by going to the records office myself?

Many thanks for your help

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2008 14:24

Fiona, it should cost £7 from GRO online. Have you got the GRO reference for the death?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Jan 2008 14:24

The are £7, provided you have the GRO reference. £10 applies if you do not have the reference.

Kate

Kate Report 18 Jan 2008 15:03

Each record of birth/marriage/death will have a page and volume number reference.

For instance, this is the marriage of my great-grandparents . . .

Mar 1915 Ormskirk 8b 1131
Fred Rothwell spouse Worsley
Alice A M Worsley spouse Rothwell

The 8b is the volume number, the 1131 is the page number - if you do online ordering it will ask for these.

RobG

RobG Report 18 Jan 2008 15:05

You can either get them from the relevent register office or online from GRO. If you are getting them from the GRO you will need extra details - the name of the registration district and the GRO Reference. This will be something along the lines of the format "5c 123". To find the correct reference for the cert you require you need to consult the index (such as at Ancestry). The GRO Ref is of no use at the local Reg.Office.
Either way, you should pay no more than £7. A plus point of getting them from the local office is that if you give them checking points (i.e. Mother's maiden name for a birth) you will [usually] not get charged if it does not match, whereas the GRO will still charge £3.