Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

think outside what you know!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jan 2008 17:14

Not sure this is the right board but have to say thinking outside what you know can sometimes break down walls...

more to follow!!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jan 2008 17:42

I started my genealogy interest in 2002 when SIL who didn't have a PC wanted to find out more on her Dad (my FIL) who was brought up in a children's home from the early 1900,s The 1901 census had just come online and i looked up dads family on it .we had his birth cert from July 1901 so knew his parents names. Found his Mum &two sister altho he only remembered one!! .went as far as we could then got a wonderful researcher in Birmingham who searched parish records and gave us loads of info on the mums family BUT we never found any marriage for dads mum & dad ,altho we did find that his young-st sister died aged 17 months just three days before he was born in the same house & his dad reg both the daughters death & then his sons birth..
Finally put that family to one side cos couldn't get any further altho it always bugged me
Later updates to FreeBMD did find a marriage for the same name as his dad in Birkenhead but I didn't think it was him cos the family lived in Harborne Birmingham . Was talking to SIL last week and said i was puzzled cos the only Henry Horace Taylor that came up was on the birth certs of the children from 1896 to 1901 &&& the marriage in 1887 in Birkenhead .
Henry described as a commercial traveler on the birth certs
Mum Alice Wilkins was a housemaid in 1891 at the Forest Hotel Station Road Knowle.
Well !! decided to get the marriage cert of 1887 in Birkenhead &&&&&ITS HIIM!!! Henry Horace Taylor. a commercial traveller. so that explains why we couldn't find a marriage to Alice cos he was already married. he was 46 and Alice was 29 when dad was born.
Dad said his mum died when he was young and his dad couldn't looks after him so that why he was put in the home .Haven't to date found out what happened to Dads sister Maud born 1896 ,I know she wasnt put in a home cos dad was always very bitter that he was the only one cast off!! his words.

So as i said in my thread heading look outside the box on what you think you know.Today we made a chink in that brickwall

Shirley

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 18 Jan 2008 17:48

Well done Shirley!!!

It's great when you make a breakthrough.

Good luck with the rest of the research

Sue