Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No First Name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 20 Jan 2008 21:02

Here I go with another query - sorry. Maybe soon I will be able to help someone else.

Why would there be no first name in the parish record?
I went to the Records Office today and found the child I was looking for, but in the space where a first name would be it just said 'illegitimate daughter of' with the mothers name in the column for parents names.

Would there be more information on the original?

I am a tad confused because the IGI extracted record for this child, giving the same date of baptism and mother's name, has a first name for the child.

Thank you

Lynda

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Jan 2008 21:20

What sort of record did you actually view?

...in what form, was it....book. fiche?

Gwyn

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 20 Jan 2008 21:23

It was microfiche, and was the baptism records.

Lynda

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 20 Jan 2008 22:27

Hi Lynda.
It possible that the mother had not named the child or said that she would come back with a name & never returned. It could also be that the parish clerk forgot to enter a name. My guess is that it is the same in the original book. If it was after 1837 there would be a birth certificate with a christian name.

Malcolm.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 20 Jan 2008 22:50

I have ordered a a certificate. Not 100% sure if it is the right one, but even if not there is bound to be a connection somewhere.
Thanks for your help.
Lynda

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 20 Jan 2008 23:06

You often see male or female then the surname. Parents hadnt decided on the name.
Later the name was given at baptism.

I was also told names can be different on birth certs .... On the baptism a middle name might be added such as that of god father or mother.

Makes it tricky to find births.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Jan 2008 23:10

.....or parents change their minds completely.!

One set of direct ancestors had at least 2 of their children baptised with forenames that were quite different from their registered names.

Gwyn

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 20 Jan 2008 23:36

There are two different parish records: the original parish registers and the Bishop's Transcripts, which were a copy sent to the Bishop.

If the IGI has an extracted entry, it presumably comes from the Bishop's Transcripts if you found nothing in the parish baptism register.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 21 Jan 2008 07:11

Thank you for your replies.

This little one has me curious.
I will see what the certificate says.

Lynda