Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 21 Jan 2008 20:46

I am thinking of joining ancestry.com

However i do not know much about it could anyone give me some info on it?
how much does it cost, are payments every month?
and what type of information is stored on there ?
Also can you cancel your subscription at any time and if so how?

Thanks
Steph

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 21 Jan 2008 20:50

Hi Steph. Do you need American bmds? If you only need England and Wales then dont buy Ancestry.COM. You only need Ancestry.UK.

Best thing is to take the 2 week free trial. If you cancel before the 2 weeks your credit card will not be charged.

Also there are several threads about costs. Some sites offer cheaper Ancestry subs.

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 21 Jan 2008 21:05

Hi Margaret Thanks

does it give you links to cancel ?

and is it just ancestry.co.uk

it looked different from the last time i saw it

Thanks very much
Steph

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 21 Jan 2008 21:24

I took 2 weeks free offer but so fed up because I wanted to see the details so I paid for a years basic subs well worth it as you can see all the original census images. I must have viewed hundreds that I would have had to pay for on here.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 22 Jan 2008 02:18

On the homepage on Ancestry you scroll to the bottom of the page and see a contact us . Click onto that and follow the directions

It is www.ancestry.co.uk

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jan 2008 03:41

I think a subscription to ancestry is the best thing you can do.

I have a year's sub to ancestry.co.uk, and have had for about 4 years.

I really do not see how anyone can do their research without having access to all the files that are on there.

Having said that, people on here (including myself) are only to glad to help others who do not yet have their own subscriptions.

But, really, there is nothing to beat doing the hunting and chasing yourself, as long as you can afford the subscription.

Do not get misled into buying credits on other sites to access censuses and other records, even on GR. It is a waste of money to do it that way! And, GR is one of the most expensive when it comes to the credits!

sylvia

Checkypig

Checkypig Report 22 Jan 2008 09:28

i had ancestry for 2 years its a must have especially if you run FTM am trying the geneaologist this year its cheaper but a little more cumbersome to operate, but the IGI link is amazing. Chec

Checkypig

Checkypig Report 22 Jan 2008 09:32

your right Island also if you dont renew they keep sending emails & it gets cheaper & cheaper

Heather

Heather Report 22 Jan 2008 10:12

Steph, nearly all the info supplied to people on here comes from the ancestry sub - if you dont know much about it, go to the site and read about it.