Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Needle in a Haystack - Brighton Sussex

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Jan 2008 12:07

I am looking for an elderly aunt who I believe, from the last contact with the family, is living in the Brighton area. She is not on the current electoral roll and as she is now in her late eighties, I believe she may be in some form of residential care. I have just found an 18 page list of care homes in the Brighton area, so this is looking like a needle in a haystack job.

The Salvation Army did trace her last year and at that stage she did not want contact with the family. We respect that, but there have been some material changes since then, which may mean she would change her mind, and her nephews and nieces would like to have the opportunity to know her, which has so far been denied because of a family rift.

I did wonder about contacting solicitors in the area, but I haven’t dared to look how many there are! I know they wouldn’t tell me anything, but maybe they could pass something on if she was a client.

Questions are:

Does anyone know how the Salvation Army work? Would they ‘re-open the case’ and forward information about the changes in circumstances?

Does anyone have access to older electoral rolls that she might be on?

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks

Sheila

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 22 Jan 2008 12:35

You could write to all the care homes - enclosing an SAE - you might get some responses, which would narrow it down a bit.

Jill

Heather

Heather Report 22 Jan 2008 12:43

I would have thought you need to contact the Salvation army again and explain the situation - but to be brutally frank, if she didnt want contact last year it seems unlikely you will get a postive result doesnt it.

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Jan 2008 12:56

Thanks for your responses. I was hoping I might avoid having to write to 18 pages of care homes!

Heather, I understand what you say, but to be equally frank, the people that kept her away have now both passed away...and that just might make a difference.

Sheila

Sheila

Krystyna♥

Krystyna♥ Report 22 Jan 2008 13:45

Hi Sheila,
have you thought about putting an ad in the Argus? (local paper for that area). They also hold archives of deaths. Would be better to check first, just in case.Try their web site. Just google Argus. if she is still in a care home, one of the staff might see your ad. Just a thought.

Krystyna

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Jan 2008 13:46

Hi Krystyna

Sorry - should have said we have already written to the Argus, with no response. However, we believe she is still alive.

Sheila

Krystyna♥

Krystyna♥ Report 22 Jan 2008 13:49

If you need any help, I live in the area. Just ask.
Good luck

Krystyna

Heather

Heather Report 22 Jan 2008 14:03

I wish you every luck Sheila, it seems a very sad situation and she is a lucky lady that you are putting so much effort into reuniting the family :) xx