Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Menston Pauper Lunatic Asylum

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 22 Jan 2008 14:06

I have just received the death cert. of my g g grandmother who died in the Menston Asylum W. Yorks. She was born and lived in Knaresborough. Under occupation it says " Nil of Workhouse Knaresborough" Can anyone tell me if this means that although a pauper she had not lived in the workhouse?
Susan

Penny

Penny Report 22 Jan 2008 14:17

it suggests to me that she didnt have employment and was a resident of the workhouse

Susan

Susan Report 22 Jan 2008 14:26

Thanks Minnie. That does seem more logical. It just seems awful that she was in the workhouse when there were relatives living in the same town.
Susan.

Heather

Heather Report 22 Jan 2008 15:38

Sue, dont feel too rotten, the workhouses often had infirmaries attached to them - it may be that she went there because she was ill and then they transferred her to the asylum.

quite contrary mary

quite contrary mary Report 22 Jan 2008 18:04

Looking at the death records in my own home town it seems that that many of the workhouse residents were in fact patients at the hospital attached to it. I suppose you could equate it with today's elderly having dementia with their families not being able to look after them properly. Also worth noting that every single one that I found had a Christian burial with a minister and a proper grave site. Their dignity seems to have been maintained.

ang

ang Report 22 Jan 2008 18:23

there is a graveyard opposite where the hospital was, dedicated to the patients who died there

Susan

Susan Report 22 Jan 2008 20:56

Thank you all for your replies. Have only just seen the last ones as I didn't expect any more after Minnie had solved my problem. You have made me feel less sad about it. I'm sure there was no hospital in Knaresborough as when her son died 11 years after her he was in Harrogate Infirmary.I take the point too that someone with dementia (if that was her problem) is probably better looked after by trained carers.
Susan