Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military stuff...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 22 Jan 2008 15:56

I have a relative listed as an army pensioner on the '71 and '81 census. He was born in cosford union workhouse, Suffolk, in 1825, Elijah Ward, son of Joseph Ward. Armed with such a small amount of information can anybody advise the best course of action to obtain his military records ? can this be done online or is a visit to a records office needed to progress.... please help a beginner..sob.. (pathetic pleading technique !!) thanks for reading and offering a virtual tissue...

kim.

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 22 Jan 2008 15:58

It all depends when he served but a good starting point is the mod veteran site at:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Kim

Kim Report 22 Jan 2008 16:08

Thanks for that i will have a look, my guess, and it is only that, would be between 1841 + and middle 1860's, but that is assuming he got the pension for serving a full 24 years, which i think was the normal, but he could have been invalided out.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 22 Jan 2008 16:09

His service records, if they survive, will be at National Archives, Kew. Not online - you'd need to go there or get someone to go for you. All those who left the Army up to 1854 are name indexed on their catalogue, but can't see him there. As he left 1871 or before, it would be essential to know which regiment he was in, in order to find his records.

Kim

Kim Report 22 Jan 2008 16:17

thanks Ann, i saw some books available online, the Army lists for various years, do you know if they would list all ranks or officers only ?

In terms of the regiment i have absolutely no idea, unfortunately.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 22 Jan 2008 16:20

Army List is just for officers unfortunately. Without the regiment you would have no way of finding his papers. Did he marry or have any children when he was in the Army? A cert might give his regiment.

Kim

Kim Report 22 Jan 2008 16:22

He is shown on the '71 census as unmarried so no help there either, i hoped that the fact of the pension would help to find him.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 22 Jan 2008 16:25

Perhaps his death cert might mention it?? Is the 1871 the last census you have found him on?

Kim

Kim Report 22 Jan 2008 16:28

No, he is on the '81 census as well, just !! he was buried in Dedham Essex 30.10.1881, age 55.

on both census he was a lodger living with an Elizabeth (Betsey) Gould.

Because of the Suffolk connection is the Suffolk regiment the best first post of call or is that too random do you think..

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 22 Jan 2008 16:32

Worth a try, but it doesn't necessarily follow that he joined his local regiment. As you don't know which regiment he was in, though, it's really the only thing you could do!

Kim

Kim Report 22 Jan 2008 16:34

Yep, thanks again Ann, i guess it comes down to either that, a visit to dedham churcyard, a copy of the death cert or a spiritualist...

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 22 Jan 2008 16:37

Or a death notice in his local paper!

Kim

Kim Report 22 Jan 2008 16:41

good thought that....you've done this before havent you....

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 22 Jan 2008 16:47

Well, yes, several times - apart from the spiritualist, that is!

Kim

Kim Report 22 Jan 2008 16:56

and probably best avoided Ann, bit too desperate really.... if i find an answr to this i will post a comment, thanks for your interest.