Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reservist? Can any one explain??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 22 Jan 2008 16:04

My gt grandfather was listed on the 1901 census in Wolverhampton as occupation railway painter reservist, but was classed as an invalid.
If he was a reservist does this mean he was still listed in the army?? Can anyone help?

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 25 Jan 2008 15:34

Does anyone out there have any idea what a railway painter reservist is??

Thought maybe a reservist was someone still on army lists but as he was an invalid in 1901 cenus when his occupation was listed as this im thinking that not possible!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jan 2008 15:38

What was his name?

Reg

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 25 Jan 2008 17:10

John J Lewis c.1868 Wolverhampton, wife Penelope.

Joan

Joan Report 25 Jan 2008 17:33

Being a reservist meant that you could be called back into the army...or whatever...in case of need...such as a war.
I don't know why he was invalided out of the army and was a reservist....maybe his injury or ill health was relatively minor????

Hope there are army experts online!
Joan

PS can't find his marriage or find him in 1891

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 25 Jan 2008 17:38

Have his marriage certificate they wed in Ireland while he was based at Curragh Camp in 1891.
Cant find him anywhere else though i have had a couple of false leads!!