Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

quick question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 22 Jan 2008 19:45

I have seen a page somewhere where you can check who lived in a particular house but can't remember where. Does anyone know?
Thanks
Irene

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 Jan 2008 20:45

"who lived in a particular house but can't remember where"

Hmm, I'm puzzled. If you know the particular house, then you know where. ;)

You mean when?

The 1881 census is searchable free at Ancestry by address, if that helps! The 1901 can be searched by address at the Archives site, but it's pay per view.

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 22 Jan 2008 20:52

sorry Kathryn
i mean i can't remember where i found the page/site for looking up who was living in the house think it might be something to do with the census but can't find it now

Irene

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 Jan 2008 21:16

Okay, that was really stupid of me!

Try the 1881 at Ancestry, or the 1901 address search:

http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search.asp?wci=ad_search

Depends on when you have in mind! Others more intimately familiar with English resources may have much better ideas.

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 22 Jan 2008 21:31

Thanks a lot Kathryn
Yes that's the one. I will write it down this time! I had forgotten that it was only the 1901 census. I was rather hoping for 1851 or 1861.
Thanks again for your help
Irene

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 Jan 2008 22:27

It can often be done for other censuses -- it's a matter of identifying the neighbours and hoping that one or more of them stayed put from one census to the next.

I once searched through pages and pages of the 1881 census for a rural place in Cheshire, and then through pages and pages of the 1891, trying to figure out who was living in the big pile on the 50 acres that my gr-grfather's sister and her husband had been gentleman-farming in 1881. Couldn't figure it out to save my soul. Then I noticed that the pages went from page 10 to page 12. Right exactly where that homestead might have been. Maybe this was what had become of my people ...

I inquired at a Cheshire genealogy board, and somebody pointed out to me that the household schedule numbers were uninterrupted from page 10 to page 12, so it seemed there wasn't a page missing after all. Likely the enumerator spilled his tea on page 11, I guess.

And months later, I found my gr-grfather's sister's husband hiding under a fake surname, living on his means in rented digs in Somerset ... minus my gr-grfather's sister. Never have figured out what became of her ...

Anyhow, it would take a bit of time, although possibly not too much, if you find a nice stable middle-aged couple down the street. On the other hand, every single household in one census may have moved by the next one.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jan 2008 22:35

1861 can be searched by address on findmypast........but it isn't free

Reg