Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what do i do now ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 23 Jan 2008 15:23

Hi i wonder if somone could give me some advice. i have found the following info regarding someone in my family tree on ancestry and dont know where to go next.
thanks linda

Cheshire & Lancashire: - Wills and Administrations, 1831-1833
Lancashire Wills
County: Cheshire
Green, Thomas, Bedford, Leigh, farmer. A Aug 1833

Cheshire & Lancashire: - Wills and Administrations, 1831-1833
Marriage Licences Granted within the Dincese of Chester.
Lancashire Wills
Part 2-M to Z.
County: Cheshire
Green, Thomas, Bedford, Leigh, farmer. A Aug 1833

Alison

Alison Report 23 Jan 2008 15:29

Hi Linda

Have you tried the National Archives. They have online documents which you can download including wills. Just google National Archives - then click on documents online and then type in your ancestors name - if it's there you will be able to download it for £3.75ish there and then.

Have a go, see if it's there.

Alison.

Dea

Dea Report 23 Jan 2008 15:30

I have looked on both of those sites and cannot find a will for Thomas Green !

Am I misreading this?

Dea x

Alison

Alison Report 23 Jan 2008 16:26

Usually the information about where you can access the documents mentioned are mentioned in the small print on ancestry. Let me get onto it and have a look.

Alison

Alison

Alison Report 23 Jan 2008 16:34

This is what Ancestry says:-

Where to go from here:
How do I find copies of the originals?
These records are a finding aid that help researchers locate an ancestor in a particular time and place in history. With a location and an approximate date, the microfilm number of pertinent corroborating records can often be found on the LDS Church's FamilySearch site (www.familysearch.org) in the Family History Library Catalog. The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has the largest collection.

For unfilmed original parish records go to The Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers, under the county of interest. This will then direct you the County Record Office where the registers are housed. You can also contact local genealogy societies or local parishes for information on viewing original records. See Crockford's Clerical Directory, a directory of Church of England clergy, if you wish to write to a parish. It is published annually.

There are other church records, and a search on Familysearch.org on the FHLC can provide you with listings of original parish records by doing a locality search for your county/parish, then look under "Church Record" type.

Usually, though, wills are located at the specific record office, in this case the Lancashire record office. If you don't live near to this then how about asking a kind person from RAOGK (random acts of genealogical kindness) to pay a visit to the Lancashire records office and copy the probate for you. This is what I have done for my ancestor in Hertfordshire as I live in Devon. Just google Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness and see if you can locate someone near to Lancashire. Although they will normally give their time for free depending on the search it may be pertinent to pay for their petrol and/or time.
Good luck
Alison

Carter

Carter Report 23 Jan 2008 20:40

thank you all so much sorry i didnt ge back to you all right away but had visitors. i will read through all the above and try and see what to do next
many thanks once again
linda x