Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How would I

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Spud Fae Livi

Spud Fae Livi Report 26 Jan 2008 00:32

go about looking for an overseas birth?

All the records concerning my GGrandfather say that he was born in The Netherlands.

Having just found him on the 1861 census, it tells me that he wasborn in The Netherlands Brittish Subject aged 5.
I was wondering where I could look for his birth?

Cheers
Spud

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 26 Jan 2008 01:55

Hi Spud,

I'm thinking back to the "Who do you think you are" programme featuring Carol Vorderman. She went to a record office in Amsterdam, where her father was born, the records are kept locally. Presumably your man married at some stage - the marriage cert may well give a more precise place of birth. Hopefully then you could trace the record office for that area, they should be able to provide the birth record.

Duncan

Duncan

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jan 2008 02:45

What does it say on later censuses? Sometimes a different census will have a town name.

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jan 2008 02:46

alternatively

Have you looked on the Mormon site, www.familysearch.org?

They have IGI for European countries as well as the UK

sylvia

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 26 Jan 2008 04:33

Findmypast have overseas births, but it is either subscription or pay per view site only.

Spud Fae Livi

Spud Fae Livi Report 26 Jan 2008 06:19

Thaks all,
On his marrage cert it says Holland and in other censuses it says either Netherlands or Holland.

Thanks Keith I'll try Find my past.
I thought there was a site with overseas births but was not sure which one.

Cheers
Spud.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 26 Jan 2008 06:36

Spud, if you give me a name, I will check Findmypast for you.

Spud Fae Livi

Spud Fae Livi Report 26 Jan 2008 16:55

Thanks Keith,
Sorry I have been out all day.
His name is John Brammer born acordinding to 1861 census in Holland aged 5.
His parents were William Brammer and Margaret Graham married in Newcastle in 1846.

Cheers

Spud

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 26 Jan 2008 17:44

Sorry Spud, cannot find him on the Overseas births on Findmypast. Do you know if his parents were Military, I have checked the Military births to no avail.

Spud Fae Livi

Spud Fae Livi Report 26 Jan 2008 18:04

Thanks anyway Keith

No I don't think so, on all census and marrage he is down as pottry painter.

Hope you don't mind me asking but where is Fujairah?
It sounds quite exotic.

Cheers

Spud

Sarah

Sarah Report 22 Feb 2008 09:10

Hi Spud,

A good place to start looking for Dutch BMDs is http://www.genlias.nl/en/page0.jsp

I've had a quick look but I don't think I see any likely John (Johan) or William (Willem) Brammer listed.

But as you said his occupation was pottery painter, I thought it would be worth checking the records for Delft, which is famous for its pottery.
Delft records are not included on www.genlias.nl, and instead Delft has it's own website: http://delft.digitalestamboom.nl/
(click on the flag at the top right to change language to English).

I found the following birth:

Child John
Father William Brammer
Mother Margrith Finwick
Place Delft
Date of birth 02-03-1856

There is also a Thomas Brammer born to the same parents on 26-03-1858.

Finwick is not a Dutch name, and a quick search on google suggests that Finwick/Fenwick is a northeast England name. So with your William Brammer marrying in Newcastle I wonder whether this might be your William and Margaret? Have you confirmed that her maiden name was Graham?

Sarah