Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871cen lookup, plse - Harman, London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rita

Rita Report 26 Jan 2008 10:23

I would like the household details for the following, please. If either or both seems definite maybes, may I then ask for images? I would PM my email address.

Joseph Harman - 32 - Whitechapel
Joseph Harman - 29 - St. Saviour

I found the above on findmypast but for some reason I can't open images sent from that site by previous looker-uppers. Ancestry seems to work best.

Many thanks. I have to leave the PC now but will look back later.

Regards

Rita

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jan 2008 10:39

Name: Joseph Harman
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1839
Relation: Inmate
Where born: Blackfield Rd

Civil Parish: Christchurch Spitalfields
County/Island: London

Registration district: Whitechapel
Sub-registration district: Artillery
ED, institution, or vessel: Providence Row Night Refuge for Homeless Men and Women and Children

AND

Name: Joseph Harman
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1842
Relation: Son
Father's Name: George
Mother's Name: Ann
Where born: Trowbridge, Wiltshire, England

Civil Parish: Christchurch
County/Island: London

Registration district: St Saviour Southwark
Sub-registration district: Christchurch Southwark
ED, institution, or vessel: 8
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 305
Household Members: Name Age
Alfred Harman 19
Ann Harman 61
George Harman 64
Joseph Harman 29
Thomas Harman 21

Reg

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 26 Jan 2008 10:54

Hi Rita,

To open the images from findmypast, you'd need to download DjVu lizardtech software. There's a free download available and only takes a few minutes.

I've just had a look at the images for you and the first Joseph is an inmate at a homeless shelter. He's a solicitor's clerk, married and born Blackfriars Rd.

The second Joseph is living with his parents but married (no sign of a wife) and he's a house decorator, born T?awbridge, Wilts.

HARMAN, Joseph Inmate M 32 Middlesex
RG number:
RG10 Piece:
504 Folio:
75 Page:

Registration District:
Whitechapel Sub District:
Artillery EnumerationDistrict:
Ecclesiastical Parish:

Civil Parish:
Christ Church Municipal Borough:
Address:
Providence (Row) Night Refuge For Homeless Men,Women & Children Crispin St & Raven Row, Spitalfields, Christ Church County:
London, Middlesex

HARMAN, George Head M 64 Ireland
HARMAN, Ann Wife F 61 Wiltshire
HARMAN, Joseph Son M 29 Wiltshire
HARMAN, Thomas Son M 21 Surrey
HARMAN, Alfred Son M 19 Surrey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG10 Piece:
594 Folio:
72 Page:

Registration District:
St Saviour Southwark Sub District:
Christ Church EnumerationDistrict:
8 Ecclesiastical Parish:

Civil Parish:
Christ Church Municipal Borough:
Address:
Charlotte St, Christ Church County:
London, Surrey

Deb:)

Rita

Rita Report 26 Jan 2008 10:59

Reg -

Many thanks for such a speedy response. I think that the first one is more likely to be my man.

His parents were Joseph and Martha Harman. He was born ca 1838. Place of birth virtually illegible on the 1861 but clear on the 1851 as Christchurch Blackfriars.

Oddly enough both his father and mother came from WIltshire, with Martha coming from Trowbridge.

Co-incidence or what.

I will PM my email soonest.

Regards

Rita

Rita

Rita Report 26 Jan 2008 11:15

Reg -

Many thanks for such a speedy response. I think that the first one is more likely to be my man.

His parents were Joseph and Martha Harman. He was born ca 1838. Place of birth virtually illegible on the 1861 but clear on the 1851 as Christchurch Blackfriars.

Oddly enough both his father and mother came from WIltshire, with Martha coming from Trowbridge.

Co-incidence or what.

I will PM my email soonest.

Regards

Rita

Rita

Rita Report 26 Jan 2008 11:23

Deb -

I made a previous acknowlge ment but I am not sure if it has reached the board yet. I think there must be a time delay, or there is something awry with my answering technique.

As you can see, Reg seems to have found my man so will now try on Familysearch to find him on the 1881.

Many thanks for info re Lizardtech.

Regards

Rita