Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

adobe reader

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 26 Jan 2008 13:31

have been trying to download a free adobe reader so i can view bmd records, but i notice that it comes up as unsafe to download as author not present, has anyone been put off by this or do you reckon i should be brave and just download it? these things scare me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
susan stillman

Mandy in Wiltshire

Mandy in Wiltshire Report 26 Jan 2008 13:39

Hi Susan

Adobe is fine, just make sure you download it from the official Adobe site www.adobe.com.

Mandy :)

Susan

Susan Report 26 Jan 2008 13:58

thanks mandy and gary.ive tried downloading and when i try to view, it just comes up with a blank screen, other times i get a 7.version which is not compatable with windows, then it cuts me off the net!Am i doing it wrong?
susan

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 26 Jan 2008 14:02

Susan, Adobe 7 is compatable with Windows XP, not sure about Vista, but would expect so.

EDIT Version 8.1.1 is Vista compatable.
Download from here:-
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html

If you click download, it should be fine.

Susan

Susan Report 26 Jan 2008 14:05

thanks keith, i got vista.just got in on adobe site to download 8.1 version and they want to charge, i thought it was a free download.
susan

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 26 Jan 2008 14:34

Hi Susan,

I just checked on the site that Keith said and there is also a box ticked to download photoshop starter edition, maybe if you untick that it will be ok because Adobe reader is Free.

Christine

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 26 Jan 2008 14:40

Susan, make sure you are only downloading Adobe acrobat READER and not the complete adobe package which they will charge for.

Susan

Susan Report 26 Jan 2008 15:11

aarrgghh. am getting really frustrated, just cannot get it to work!!!!! It keeps shutting down and then when i think i got it,it disapears! Im not sure im doing it right. when i want to view records of bmd it comes up with a blank sceren. do i have to reinstall adobe every time i look up something or can i click on something to make it work. only been using laptop and internet for a couple of weeks so am a "bit slow" to say the least!!!!!!!!!

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 26 Jan 2008 15:16

Susan, where are you trying to download the bmd images from? Is it from GR?

Susan

Susan Report 26 Jan 2008 15:20

yes keith, its through the records part for which ive bought credits.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 26 Jan 2008 15:49

Susan, you can see a lot of BMD records free on this site.

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

It is not fully covered but improving all the time.

Years covered are 1837- about1920, please don't pay for ones you can get free and you won't need Adobe reader.

Christine

Susan

Susan Report 26 Jan 2008 16:23

thankyou christine, i,ll take a look.
sue x

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 26 Jan 2008 16:29

Susan, you can also see the images free on FreeBMD if you can find the event you are looking for.

Susan

Susan Report 26 Jan 2008 19:07

guys, ive managed to read them, i ran the programme that appeared and havnt had to do it since!!!!! Thank you so much everyone for your help.
susan xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx