Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dean

Dean Report 27 Jan 2008 11:08

My father is adopted and does not have his orginal birth certificate. He was born in 1934. The website scotlands people brings up one match for that area and year of his birth but because it is so new i cannot view it on line and will have to pay £10 for the extract.

As i have limited information i am not entirely sure that this is the correct certificate. Is there another way of seeing the birth certificate without getting sent the extract?

Sorry for the long winded explanation.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Wendy

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 27 Jan 2008 11:24

If your father is still alive it would be best if he approached the local social services. The Scottish system is slightly different to England/Wales.

I was born and adopted in England but started searching when i moved to Scotland. The social worker remarked on how much more work is involved with obtaining English records and how much easier the Scottish system is.

I would suggest that he speaks with them and asks how to go about obtaining his original certificate, though it may take a little longer than an order direct to the GROS and may not be any cheaper he may well be given some other information too.

Seeing as they would be able to check the names/dates etc it would be the correct certificate and avoid the guesswork.

Glen

Dean

Dean Report 27 Jan 2008 11:35

Thanks Glen, I will see what he says.

Do you think the genelogy departments would have information that new as i think i might go to the one in edinburgh within the next couple of weeks?

Wendy

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 27 Jan 2008 11:53

The GROS (General Register Office for Scotland) is based in Edinburgh, they are the Scottish equivalent of the GRO. They hold all the records including those which are later than the ones on Scotlandspeople.

The other option would be to contact the office local to the event but you would only be able to view the extract after purchasing it whether you went via the GROS or a local office.

I'm not 100% sure but i think the Social Services option might be a tad cheaper but a bit more longwinded. They would have access to additional information though.

Glen

Sheila

Sheila Report 27 Jan 2008 12:26

Hi Dean.

Where you looking under his adoptive name or his birth name ? If it was his adoptive name then there will be no match as a birth is only ever reg under one name and that is the birth name, and entry is then made later in the GRO reg under the adoptive name

This address may help you it where the adoption records in Scotland are kept.

The General Register Office (Scotland)
Adoption Section
New Register House
Edinburgh
EH1 3YT
Scotland

if you have a look on

www.lookupuk(.)com

you can find more infor for adoptees.

Hi Glen

How are you? not seen you around much or on the adoptees thread .

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 27 Jan 2008 12:56

Hi Sheila

I'm struggling along, working away all week again but i'm on the sick at the moment.

I finally met a half sibling just before xmas, found a pile of cousins etc and now i know that my b/f had at least twelve kids in addition to me (add the three my mother had and i now know of 15 half siblings!!!).

Glen

Sheila

Sheila Report 27 Jan 2008 19:36

Hi Glen,

Hope your feeling better now, how did the meeting go? Gosh your family tree has exploded, thought I had a few siblings to trace, bet your Christmas card list will be expensive next year!
Anyway happy hunting !

By the way Wendy is your father still living if you wish to view adoption records, think only he will have access to them.

Good Luck!

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 27 Jan 2008 23:57

Hi Dean
I am assuming your father knows his birth name in order to apply for his original birth certificate. However, if he doesn't he will have to go through formal channels.

I helped a young Scottish woman who didn't know her birth name (she wasn't online at the time) apply for her original birth certificate to GROS and this is part of the email after making a request for it.

Dear xxxx

Thank you for your recent e-mail requesting your original birth certificate.

Before your original certificate can be issued the enclosed declaration form must be completed and returned to this office along with documentary evidence of your identity in the name xxxxx and the fee of £13.00. A baptismal, school or marriage certificate, medical card, driving licence, insurance policy or other similar document would suffice.

An extract or abbreviated certificate from the Adopted Children Register is not suitable as evidence of your identity for this purpose nor are photocopies of documents.

We will also inform you where the Court Process Papers relating to your adoption are held. These may hold further information with regard to the adoption.

Yours sincerely
Just to add, although you can print off the Declaration form GROS send you by email... you then have to send everything back by post.

Hope this information helps and Good Luck.
Cheers Gerry

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 28 Jan 2008 03:29

hi dean you have been givien very good info good luch and to glenn good to see you on line and boy has your family expanded good luck regards dorothy canada