Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Look ups offered - I have time right now!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 27 Jan 2008 21:48

I am ready now for 1 hour only to do look ups if you want me to.

Kate xx

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 27 Jan 2008 22:23

Hi Kate

Any chance of a 1861 and 1871 Essex census lookup please for the following man and his family.

Thomas Cockshed born abt 1831
Great Sampford, Essex, England.

Sorry I do not have his spouse or childrens details.

many thanks
Helen

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 27 Jan 2008 22:35

Thomas Cockshed (30) in 1861 - with wife - Eliza Cockshed (28) born Saffron Waldon. He is a labourer and they have no children yet. Living in Sarah's Place, Saffron Waldon.

1871: Interestingly he is indexed as Thomas Cockshott in 1871 but the original is definately Cockshed. He and Eliza (Elsa) are living with Charles and Sarah Taylor in Hill Street, Saffron Waldon. Charles is marked at Thomas's son-in-law aged (24). Sarah is aged (22). She is born on the Isle of Ely. My brother lives there!! Nice place.

Hope this is helpful, Kate xx

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 27 Jan 2008 22:50

Hi Kate,

Yes he was a man of many names 1851 he was Chocshed. Many thanks for the two lookups.

I am a wee bit confused with 1871 census if charles is his son in law then Sarah must be his daughter, however she is not living with them in 1861 as you state no children ?

Also on Family search 1881 his wife is Harriett and they are living at Church Street, Saffron Walden, Essex, England. And even stranger their are five children listed as his but with a different surname, must be his stepchildren.

Ah just love a good mystery will now have to find out what happened to Eliza.

bye and once again many thanks

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 27 Jan 2008 23:29

Hi Helen Kathryns closed for the night.

1861 census
Charles Taylor 1845 Saffron Weldon is an inmate in Harlow reformatory school.occ farm labourer.

Also son in law can mean step son

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 27 Jan 2008 23:38

Hi Margaret,

Thank you for that, I have been trying to find a marriage of Charles Taylor to Sarah but nothing fitted.

Your posting certainly has given me another angle to search.

I didnt know son-in-law could also mean step son.

bye Helen

Heather

Heather Report 27 Jan 2008 23:45

Right Kath, my eyes are aching - can you see if you can find my cousins ancestors - he has them in 1851 - so have I - James Austin b c1798 - 1801 - says Hammersmith in the 1851. Wife Harriet Hall. They married Marylebone 1825 (got the Pallots entry). 5 sons, eldest James shown as deaf and dumb. The sons are not a prob, all showing up post 1851.

The kids names should do it easily but ..... Francis 1841, Julian 1838, Robert Byron 1836, Henry 1828, James 1825.

What hed like to find is James in the 1841 with Harriet. He was a trunk maker master.

I keep coming up with lots of James Austins with wifes like Mary or Hannah but no match so far. Ill carry on for a bit longer but head and neck is aching now - lol - if you suddenly strike gold, Id be very happy to stop looking :) Many thanks.

Thats it, Im going to bed, nite guys :)

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 28 Jan 2008 00:53

Give up impossible to find.

Either badly mistranscribed or missed off the census

Heather

Heather Report 28 Jan 2008 10:28

Yep, Ive given up Margaret, those boys' names were a gift, I thought even mistrans would easily be picked up with names like that but nope.