Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sorry posted on general topics. Advice on hard cop

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 28 Jan 2008 22:00

need to put tree on paper to show family.
whats the best way to do this. should i put each individual on a postcard, also family tends to have more than 4/5 children so how can i show all these on charts that you buy. Any suggestions would be grateful.

Pat from Wesham

Pat from Wesham Report 28 Jan 2008 22:28

Hi Sharron,
I have typed all mine out, a page for each family showing mother, father, marriage and childrens births baptism's etc, then a separate page for childrens marriages.
Most people who do not understand family tree would just be confused if you put a lot of charts in front of them< I know i did this first.
Then I put a chart at the front showing the family line.
Pat

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 28 Jan 2008 22:32

Everyone has their own method of displaying information depending on how much they have discovered.

You may also find that in a few years time you need to change how you record details.

I've ended up with different trees for each main branch of my tree plus a file for each. One of my families has 3 large lever arch files devoted to it.

I use Genopro as my tree program and that allows as many separate trees as I like.
www.genopro.com

I've done a fan chart for my direct ancestors back to my 5x great grandparents plus a written ahnentafel of nearly 30 pages for the longest descent I have.

I couldn't do a postcard for each person because I have thousands of ancestors and for some I know little more than a name and dates or place but I've written talks for Family History groups about others.

Do what pleases you and what you find easiest.

Sue
x

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 29 Jan 2008 04:14

Hi Sharron, I gave a cousin an 'outline tree" (the type with names, dates etc. indented and numbered by generation). He was absolutely confused by it all so I ended up sending him a standard chart for only 4 generations with instructions on how to glue it together.
He said that seeing all aunts and uncles on the same horizontal line, then the cousins on the next etc. let him understand the relationships better.
This is NOT a good idea for large families with 8 generations!
Maybe a chart for generation 1 and 2, then a chart for the person they are descended from for a few generations. KISS. (Keep It Simple Sharron!)
Bernie

Christine

Christine Report 10 Feb 2008 14:07

www.goldenmemoriescharts.co.uk she does some great charts