General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Used up some more stuff

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Dec 2013 19:17

Today I made the Christmas puddings from the Julian Graves recipe I use every year. They won't get steamed until tomorrow or Sunday but, at least they are made.

I also have a dirty great vat of cranberry sauce on the stove top. Half the cranberries have been in the freezer since last year but they didn't look too bad. My bit of vege suet had to be augmented a bit with the last of the Crisp and Dry and a bit of Trex.

All the dregs have been used up of the brandy, port, cider vinegar, bit of sugar that was in the cupboard. Fred is very jealously guarding the last bit of whisky that is in his bottle and lashing out quite savagely with his grabber if I go near it!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Dec 2013 05:05

Lol, good for you Sharron, making use of all the odds and sods. I wil be doing the same this coming week when o.h. needs evening meals, we will clear out some of the things from the freezer so I can get things in for Christmas time. I didn't do it this week while I was cooking for myself as I had a feast of stirfry and salmon most evenings, quick and easy and healthier than things o.h. likes sometimes. He wouldn't eat salmon anyway, so it's the only time I get to have it.

Enjoy your puds, my Mum used to make lovely ones but o.h. doesn't like them so I don't bother.

Lizx

wisechild

wisechild Report 7 Dec 2013 07:22

On the subject of using up. has anyone got a quick & simple recipe for grapefruit marmalade.
OH has come home with a kilo or more of grapefruit from his friend´s tree. I love it but can´t eat it because it reacts with my medication, so I thought if I make marmalade with it, I could distribute it among the neighbours who are always very impressed by English inventiveness.

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Dec 2013 09:55

This is not the recipe but the way I would make Fred make it, just like orange.

I cut in half, Fred puts them on the food processor juicer.

I put in the slicer blades and turn up the speed and fred slices the skins.

I boil it all up in the preserving pan with a drop of water and the pips in one of those bags that come with washing tablets.

Fred tips in the sugar and dissolves it.

I boil it to setting.

Fred washes old jars and takes the labels off.

I sterilize the jars.

Fred fills them and coats the kitchen liberally with marmalade.

I spend a week cleaning up sticky bits.

I write the labels that say "Fred's Marmalade".

Fred gives them to people.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 7 Dec 2013 10:53

Sharron,

{one of those bags that come with washing tablets.}

Thanks. Now why have I never thought of that?

Each year I scrabble around for a small piece of muslin (aka bit of an old shirt, hanky, etc.). Also a piece of string to tie the bundle - which a couple of years ago became untied during the boiling!

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Dec 2013 11:01

My philosophy is, who eats most marmalade eats most pip.

wisechild

wisechild Report 7 Dec 2013 13:08

Thanks Sharron.
I was going to ask if I could borrow Fred to lend a hand, but on 2nd thoughts.........

Marion

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Dec 2013 13:31

Please do.

I can deliver.

wisechild

wisechild Report 7 Dec 2013 13:37

What?? To Menorca?
Only 1 flight per week from Gatwick!!!
Or are you hoping for a cheap week away?
You would be very welcome, but I can assure you, it´s wet & very chilly at this time of year & there´s a distinct shortage of sausage sandwiches, which might not please"himself"