General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Windows......all done.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 9 Dec 2013 11:48

..............Well the time has arrived for our new windows to be installed.
The joiner arrived this morning with his 2 workers & are working on the 2 upstair windows & the one in the kitchen.
It was very noisy for while with all the hammering & drilling etc, but it's quiet just now.
Been looking forward to getting the new windows but I don't like upheavel,I tend to get a bit stressed, lol, I will feel much better when it's all finished.
Nice day so far for having windows removed! fine & dry, sunny even,& not as chilly as it has been recently thank goodness.

Joan / Amokavid.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Dec 2013 11:55

I am sure it will all be worth it when finished Joan. And you will probably be a lot warmer without draughts.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Dec 2013 12:05

We found our installers were great .they cleaned up as they went and left the windows fully cleaned from any finger marks etc. plus in one window recess loose plaster came out as they took out the old window and they repaired the section with quick setting filler all smoothed ready for a repaint .
We were well impressed .I too get a bit fussy and worry about what may happen so are happy when its all done

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 9 Dec 2013 12:22

Hi SparklingAnn & Shirley.........

Hubby & I are keeping out of the way in the living room at the moment so I have not seen what has been done so far, hubby went out for a ciggy (& a nosey) he said the kitchen window is out & one bedroom.

It's fairly quiet just now with some gentle drilling! so I am thinking they are working on whatever it is they need to do so as to fit in the new ones.
If they get these 3 in I shall be well pleased,especially as the bedroom windows are not so straight forward, they are small bays that sit in the roof area but stick out at the front.

Joan.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 9 Dec 2013 12:33

You may be stressed out now but just think of the Winter you have when your bedroom will be all cosey and warm,,,NO drafts.

You need another win to pay for the rest of the windows... :-D

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 9 Dec 2013 13:19

Hello Sue.

It will be lovely to see the back of the old ones,which we think are the original ones that were put in when the cottage was built, (around 1786) with awful wavey glass in parts, lol.

And yes getting rid of the draughts will be wonderful.
We don't need any more windows replacing,the bathroom was changed(by hubby) when we put in a new suite about 8 years ago,& the 3rd bedroom got a new window way back when we split one large bedroom into 2,so we won't have to do those two.

Kitchen window is in, just some finishing off to be done,looks amazing.

Away to town just now, will look in later.

Joan.

Jane

Jane Report 9 Dec 2013 19:06

Hi Joan
We had all the windows at the back of the house and back door replaced a few months ago (a lot of windows !).I was amazed at the lack of mess and the speed the work was done.It only took a day and a half.I had no cleaning up to do and no wallpaper or paint needed touching up.It was brilliant.We now have no draughts and it is so quiet :-DNext year it will be the front windows including 2 big bays.I can't wait for them to be done now as the North wind blows in through all the broken seals and horrible condensation.We will definitely have the same company again .The name is Zen***.We paid cash for the ones we have just had done and it worked out half the price of if we had done a Payment Plan.I thought it was a blooming good deal :-D :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 9 Dec 2013 19:33

Joan,

You could still have a win and spend it on yourself for a change.

It's great they have finished so quick and I bet they have left very little mess.May be just a bit of dust. :-D :-D :-D :-D

I am so glad you will have a warm winter and NO drafts.. :-D :-D :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 9 Dec 2013 19:35

Jane,If you paid Cash you could have asked for a big discount as this time of year is the worst for getting D G windows done.

When I worked in DG for a small company we always gave a biggish discount on cash payment depending on how many windows were put in.. :-D

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 9 Dec 2013 22:28

Hi everyone.

We went with a local joiner to put ours in, got 3 quotes all local joiners, all recomended, all the quotes were good, but we chose this one because he had the most experience & was much more confident about doing the work when we were discussing what I was wanting,& his price was brilliant.

The original 2 bedroom bays are classed as having 3 windows in each because there are 3 framed sections,each of the sections are sashed, I have gone for a full pane in the centre,(non opening) with the 2 narrower side sections having a small opening at the top.
Downstairs the 2 original windows are also sashed,but the new ones are full panes with an opening along the top, then there is a side window, again a sashed one at present but will become a full pane non opening.

The one in the kitchen is a sash but is not very big about 4foot tall x 3foot wide, the new one for the kitchen is now a full pane, but has been made to so as to open outwards into the large porch & i will be able to clean it whilst standing in the porch.
The position of the kitchen window is that there is a long stretch over the sink PLUS the windowsill is almost 3 foot thick & being older now I am not able to climb up & lean over all that width to reach the window.
I really am pleased with the new one, the full pane makes the window look bigger, what a difference it has made.

Unfortunately they ran out of daylight today so they just got 1 bedroom window & the kitchen one in today, but I wasnt bothered about that, lovely job, very clean, tomorrow they are doing the 2nd bedroom & the side window in the living room.
The main window in the living & dining room one should to be done on wednesday.

I'm happy with that, means I can sort out each room as they are finished, easier on me & hubby to work that way.
Going to re decorate the Living room when that window is in, & as I have got a nice bit left from my winnings after buying the new windows,we are going to spend some of it on a new L room carpet, the one we have has seen better days, time for a new one.

My Hotpick win has been just wonderful, without it we wouldn't have been able to get the nice new windows.

If you do the lottery etc I wish you well & hope you are as lucky as me one day soon.

Joan.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 10 Dec 2013 10:32

Well the workers are back & they have already got our bedroom window out, & a side window in the living room is also out,& though it's a fine dry sunny day it's a bit breezy, & I'm..........FREEZING!!

Whilst workers had their tea break a Robin came into the window opening, probably noticed the wee beasties that have been exposed, lol.

Joan.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 10 Dec 2013 14:18

Decided to climb into the spare bed to warm up, when the joiners went for their dinner I fell asleep,lovely, I heard them come back so got up.
The side window in L room is fitted but not finished off inside,having a new sill (2ft+ deep) & side walls in the window area re done so that will take a bit longer to do.
Our bedroom one is in, this is also having the side of the window walls & sill renewed, so this will take a bit of time,I knew it would so not bothered about that, happy to get the windows in situ, the dining room one has just come out.

Joan.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 10 Dec 2013 14:33

It all sounds wonderful, Joan (love the bit about you climbing into bed to keep warm and then dozing off)! lol I am sure it will make a huge difference to yours and OH's lives and it will be nice to think of you all warm and snug in the winter months. You have put your lottery win to very good use. Good luck! BC XX <3

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 10 Dec 2013 14:43

Thanks BC, it IS going to be worth the "hassle".
I will be glad to see the back of all the cardboard etc we have got spread throughout the house, lol.
Even though the interior bits of the windows have yet to be done I am amazed at the windows, the glass is so fresh & clear (obviously) but having looked out through very old dull & some "wavey" glass for years,this is like going to get glasses for the first time & seeing so much more than before , LOL.

Joan.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 13 Dec 2013 23:27

At last the workmen have finished, new windows look FAB, just the big clean up now. lol.

The guys did their best re cleaning up but I have this need to get down & do it myself, so I made a start & have washed everything down in the living room this afternoon, the kitchen before we had our tea, & did the bathroom this evening.
Didn't have a window replaced in the bathroom but there was a film of dust all around AND someone had used the loo,the evidence was that they had left the seat up, (hubby never leaves it up) so needed to clean that as well.

Dining room in the morning,then the 2 front bedrooms in the afternoon,followed by the back porch, this is where the heaviest traffic was,& it's a tip at the moment,piled high with mucky cardboard.
Hubby is going to burn it all on his large garden brazier (oil drum,lol) to get rid of it all.

Joan.