General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

OH used to think I was daft

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 10 Dec 2013 12:27

buying fresh meat and poultry only to freeze it. I trust he has read, in depth, the article in our newspaper re the water and lots of other things added to ready frozen chicken and parts thereof.

One stage quoted was that (I think it was chicken breasts) when the meat arrives here already frozen, it is defrozted and then plumped up with up to 20% water/additives etc only to be REFROZEN again.

I have always been under the impression that this is the last thing you do. You can defrost something, cook it and then refreeze e.g. pies, etc.

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 10 Dec 2013 12:43

I always buy fresh poultry and meat and freeze it myself!!

Jules x

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 Dec 2013 18:19

I have bought frozen cod fillets that have been quick frozen but have an added water glaze..............yeah,

about a third of the weight is water once its thawed!!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 Dec 2013 18:21

refrozen?

what the manufacturers do, the eye doesn't see........................say no more.........

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 Dec 2013 18:21

refrozen?

what the manufacturers do, the eye doesn't see........................say no more.........

I've also often suspected that that bag of peas/veg from out of the supermarket freezer that is one frozen mass..................has been "accidentally" part thawed.....and refrozen.......

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Dec 2013 21:27

A few years ago I bought a frozen turkey.

I can't remember the actual (thawed) weight, but it was considerably lighter than what was marked on the packaging.

I contacted the company and got a full refund........ that year there were many stories on the tv & in newspapers about short weight in frozen poultry, so I think the companies are more careful now.

I always check the weight when things are defrosted - maybe it's my Scottish genes? lol

and......... what's happened to the bag of giblets we used to get with turkeys? They make the BEST gravy! I now have to buy some chicken necks etc :-(

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 10 Dec 2013 22:36

And when did you last manage to buy a chicken with giblets? OK they gather all the livers together and sell/make pate but the neck/heart etc., what are they used for?
OMG on second thoughts I do not wish to know.

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Dec 2013 22:50

I have put this on here before but I think it is relevant.

I was doing a chocolate audit in a small supermarket, one of the big chains.

It was about midday when I arrived and there was a delivery of frozen food, including chicken, lying on the conveyor to the upper floor.

The audit was particularly long and arduous and it was at least two- thirty when I took my departure, passing on my way, the frozen food still lying quietly on the conveyor.