General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Prisons Offer Room Service

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 12 Dec 2013 08:30

It is being said in some papers today, that according to a report published by the National Audit Office (NAO), that new prisons are being built with in-cell telephones and terminals to help inmates to order meals and choose activities.

Thinking maybe I should get myself locked up :-D :-D :-D

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 12 Dec 2013 08:42

Was this in the Daily Mail OFITG :-D

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 12 Dec 2013 09:02

The Times

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 12 Dec 2013 10:04

Having had dealings within the prison system, work & visiting, I can see that in cell telephones could work well, it'd save prison officers going to a cell when a prisoner called, for whatever reason that'd be.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Dec 2013 15:53

you mean inter com rather than normal telephones, surely?

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 12 Dec 2013 16:15

They are proper cell phones and the prisoners are also going to get en-suite showers.

So phone to order food...Prison officers will be waiters...

And the prisoners won't need to move a muscle only to eat the food they ordered.

Talk about pampering.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 12 Dec 2013 19:58

Am I the only person who see a far more sinister side to this story!

Prisons with facilities in their cells, to order their food and have en-suite showers etc., do not require constant supervision.

1: Meals ordered over the phone to a central point
2: En-suite bathroom facilities
3: Phone also used to arrange work/activities

All these require at present substantial staffing levels to run and oversee.

To me this smacks of private prison services severely cutting down on staff. Yes the prisoners may have some 'luxuries' but these are to quell their tempers and to help avoid trouble. So there is the need to have far less prison officers.

I have friend who is a prison officer and she tells me that these moves are very detrimental to the safety of the few officers who will be left to monitor far more prisoners.

So to me it is not pampering of the prisoners, but putting the remaining prison officers lives and helath in jeopardy.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 13 Dec 2013 09:27

I totally agree DC, when I read it I thought shouts cutbacks this does and means the prisoners will be locked up longer, would I call being locked in a cell or even a nice new room with en suite and got to speak to another person through an intercom 3 times a day no thank you.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Dec 2013 13:48

It all boils down to costs. The initial cost of building will be high, but in the long run the staffing levels which will be far less than at present in older prisons means the personnel costs will be lower. So over time it becomes a cheaper way of running prisons.

All because we now let 'outside' businesses (such as the fantastic G4S) run our prisons.