General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NOT ENOUGH POSTAGE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 12 Dec 2013 20:11

POSTMAN SLIPPED A CARD THROUGH LETTERBOX
UNABLE TO DELIVER INSIGNIFICANT POSTAGE SO
OFF WE GO MILES AWAY TO POST OFFICE MAIN DEPOT
TO GET THE OFFENDING ITEM,COST £1 +50p POSTAGE
A CHRISTMAS CARD ,,,,,,,,FROM HIS UNCLE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
THAT'S COST US £1.50 AND ITS NOT EVEN A NICE CARD.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 12 Dec 2013 20:15

It's the thought that counts though :-)

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 12 Dec 2013 20:17

ITS THE SECOND YEAR HES DONE THIS
NEXT YEAR IT STAYS AT THE DEPOT

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Dec 2013 20:19

Its bloody annoying the card postage

We sent our daughter a birthday card in Sept . I took the card to our local Post Office Ito make sure I had put the right postage on it . was sent well in advance of her birthday date but it didnt arrive,
AFTER her birthday had been and gone she got one of the cards through her door for non delivery as incorrect postage! another jobs worth I think
Told her not to bother

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 12 Dec 2013 20:19

Did you tell him last year that the postage was short...........if not this year it might be good to let him know.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Dec 2013 20:46

Don't talk to me about Royal Mail - I'm fuming at the moment.

On Tuesday I was doing something by the front window when I saw the postman (a temp., not our usual one) walk up the path and put something in the letter box. When I picked it up from the mat it was a card telling me he had been unable to deliver a parcel and it would be waiting for me to collect it. He'd made no attempt to ring the bell or use the knocker or even tap on the door!

Yesterday I went to collect it and made a complaint.

Today I was in the kitchen, heard the post come through the letter box and guess what? Another card for another parcel that they couldn't deliver because I was out!!
So now I have got to get the car out and drive to the central office again. I'll complain again but I don't think anyone will listen. And I know I have two more parcels to come. Grrr.....

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 12 Dec 2013 20:51

defo the thought that counts, regardless of whether the card was not very nice,

be grateful he was thinking of use, ;-)

Wend

Wend Report 12 Dec 2013 22:12

Don't worry Dizzi - I ain't sending you a card :-D

Hope you got my birthday card though :-P

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Dec 2013 22:14

Vera I have heard of that before, they don't even have the items on the van they are left at the depot and cards delivered instead. Hasn't happened to us yet, OH has quite a few packets and often gets a red card. If it is around the time post is normally delivered he chases off round the estate to track postie down and so far hasmanaged to get the parcels.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Dec 2013 10:10

Vera, when you are at home put a big note on the door to say Postman, please knock (or ring) as I am waiting for my parcel and am at home!

He won't have any excuse then but I think Ann is right, often they don't bother to bring things out if they are big or heavy perhaps.

Hope you get all the rest of your things delivered safely,

Gwen, it might be that your Uncle doesn't realise the new rates of postage apply to size of cards now, maybe a call to tell him and then see what happens next year.

Lizx

Kuros

Kuros Report 13 Dec 2013 10:56

I made sure the cards I had to post this year were absolutely flat i.e. no sticky-outy bits that wouldn't fit through the Post Office's little gap on their guidelines. I'm sure the sorting offices must be full of uncollected cards at this time of the year, seeing what you have to pay to get them from there.

Annie

Janet

Janet Report 13 Dec 2013 12:46

I had a birthday card, one of those hand made ones, with a note to collect from the depot. Apparently if they are more than 5 mm thick then they don't go for the normal price.
As a process of elimination I worked out which card was missing and I went to the depot in the end to collect. Very expensive but it was a nice card. As I don't have a micrometer to measure the thickness of a card I suggest if it is fat then check the price.-J

Potty

Potty Report 13 Dec 2013 14:30

Can't complain about our posties. In this area, parcels(except very small ones) are delivered by a different van to letters. If we are not in, they are left with a neighbour and a card put through our door to tell us. I seem to remember we were asked a few months ago if this was what we wanted or if we would prefer to go to the sorting office to collect.

Have been caught out by the overlarge card. too. If I knew it was just a card I would forget it but it could be something important. We were given a measuring card when the new rates came in and this has a slot for checking if letters are too thick.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Dec 2013 14:55

As a maker of hand made cards I am very aware of the different postal measurements. However it is not wise to rely on the measuring card given by the post office because it is flexible. Sometimes things go through the slot that won't go through the rigid sot. I have noticed too that the post office don't push things through the slot they drop them through, if they won't drop it is the higher rate. If I am in doubt with my hand made cards I always have them checked.

Our larger parcels also come via a separate van and are left with neighbours if they are in and we are out.

It is difficult for the postie to have to wait for people to get to the door, that is the fault of the amount of time they are allowed to deliver to each house.

Do you also realise that there are special rules governing sending batteries and battery driven items through the post. Hence when you post a packet these days you are asked what it contains 'for security reasons'.