General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1928 addresses help please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 12 Dec 2013 21:21

I would like to know how I can look at an address of that year to see what kind of place it was but don't know how to, could someone help me please?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 Dec 2013 21:44

If the street is still in existence you could try Google Maps and look at Street View.

If it isn't, the only way would be an old photograph, perhaps in a local newspaper.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 12 Dec 2013 22:23

Tried that Andysmum, on one I can only see a building but not what it was and the other one is only a map :-(

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 12 Dec 2013 22:29

Ancestry have some trade directories and phone books, depending on where it is, but you would really need a name for that. It might be possible to spot the address if it isn't a huge place

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 12 Dec 2013 22:46

Not quite sure of your meaning, but perhaps the Electoral Register of that year would help?

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 12 Dec 2013 23:55

there is a site called ask.com/pictures- which comes up if you google "images of old addresses" - no idea how good it is but it might be worth trying

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 13 Dec 2013 16:27

It sounds a bit as though the area has been redeveloped.

Can the local Family History Society help? If not, if you post the address on here, there may be someone from that area who knows what it used to be like.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Dec 2013 19:45

Ok here goes.
60 Hamlet Gardens.
Hammersmith.

I'm hoping to find out what kind of building this was in 1928, not sure if it was a private dwelling or Hospital or nursing home.

169 Castellain Mansions.
Maida Vale.

And this one I'm pretty sure it is a private dwelling but would like to be able see it.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 13 Dec 2013 20:32

The Maida Vale one should be on Google maps

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40267156.html

is a flat for sale, but it doesn't say the number

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/28291546

is another flat, there is a tab for street view

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Dec 2013 20:55

I would guess that Castellain Mansions would be a multi-resident building ................ ie, flats or maisonettes

"Mansions" was a very common name for such buildings back then ,............... sounded sooo...... much better than Castellan Flats!

If it was a single house ........ Mansion would be singular.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Dec 2013 21:06

from google ................

Property in CASTELLAIN MANSIONS, LONDON, W9 1HB
www.macmillanslondon.co.uk/.../CASTELLAIN.../CASTELLAIN--MA...?

A GROUND FLOOR FLAT REQUIRING TOTAL MODERNISATION SITUATED IN THIS POPULAR PURPOSE BUILT BLOCK CLOSE TO WARWICK AVENUE.

A spacious apartment in a popular block within a wide tree lined avenue.

Offered in unmodernised condition ,thus representing a rare opportunity to create an apartment to one’s own taste, with the latest styles, colours and technology, with well planned living accommodation ideally located within the heart of Maida Vale, being close to Warwick Avenue underground station ( Bakerloo line )

-----------

Note the phrase:- "purpose built block"

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Dec 2013 21:08

and from another ad ...................

A spacious 3 bedroomed 3rd floor flat situated within this popular mansion style block central for all of Maida Vale's ammenities. The property benefits from a large Kitchen/Breakfast area. - See more at: http://www.marshandparsons.co.uk/property-sales/3-bedroom-Flat-for-sale/Castellain-Mansions-Castellain-Road-W9/LVE940080?archive#sthash.7EcSej6d.dpuf

----------------

phrase of note is:- "Popular mansion style block"

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Dec 2013 21:09

Thank you Linda, that looks likely, they were worth a bob or two in those days, that is where the son was living then. The Mother died at Hamlet Gardens, also worth a bob or two. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Dec 2013 21:10

from Wikipedia

Other areas

The rest of Maida Vale has wide tree-lined avenues, large communal gardens and red-brick mansion blocks from the late Victoria and Edwardian eras. The first mansion blocks were completed in 1897, with the arrival of the identically-designed Lauderdale Mansions South, Lauderdale Mansions West and Lauderdale Mansions East in Lauderdale Road. Others quickly followed in neighbouring streets: Elgin Mansions (Elgin Avenue) and Leith Mansions (Grantully Road) in 1900, Ashworth Mansions (Elgin Avenue and Grantully Road) and Castellain Mansions (Castellain Road) in 1902, Elgin Court (Elgin Avenue) and Carlton Mansions (Randolph Avenue) in 1902, Delaware Mansions (Delaware Road) and Biddulph Mansions (Elgin Avenue and Biddulph Road) in 1907[14] and Randolph Court in 1910.[15]

so Castellain Mansions was built in 1902 as a mansion block

I would guess that the photos you see today are pretty much what you would have seen in 1902 or 1928 .................. the outside does not look as though it has been renovated too much.

The flats themselves have probably been much updated!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Dec 2013 21:13

This site could give a pretty good idea of what a flat might have looked like back then, as it is said to be "unmodernised"

http://www.comptonreeback.co.uk/property/for-sale/24305523/Castellain-Mansions-Castellain-Road

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 13 Dec 2013 21:15

If they were wealthy, they may have had a telephone,some of the phone books are on line, but I would need names to look them up

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Dec 2013 21:17

again, looking at Hamlet Gardens, it seems as though they were similar Victorian-style mansion blocks

so at a guess, she'd be living in a flat

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Dec 2013 21:41

Linda I have sent you a PM. :-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Dec 2013 00:46

I would just like to say thank you to Lindainherriotcountry on this board for the great help she has given me in tracking down some of my family. :-)