General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Susan Boyle - there's something about her........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 Dec 2013 09:01

At the request of my daughter, I watched the programme on Susan Boyle last night - and it was well worth it.

Susan is, like my daughter, one of the 'Forgotten Generation' - those who, 30 years or so ago, slipped through the net of help and support and into a big black hole of misunderstanding. Misunderstood by the healthcare system, the social services system, the education system and, sadly, by their peers. Their diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome came too late to stop the suffering they had to endure in their young lives.

I thought it gave a good insight into what Susan has been through in her life with the bullying, teasing and misdiagnosis which had caused her to withdraw into herself.

The good thing was, that it showed how, with the right support, advice and understanding she and, hopefully others, may be able to face the future with more confidence.

Did anyone else watch it?

The programme "There's something about Susan" can be seen on ITV Player.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 13 Dec 2013 09:15

I fear for her I really do, Susan has a wonderful singing voice and comes across as a really nice person, its was obvious to those around her during the final of BGT that she was vunerable and was fighing certain demons and now she live her life on stage whilst the Simon Cowells of this world get rich ! Poor Susan.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Dec 2013 09:37

Her background people though seem to very supportive of her. They seem to gently try to boost her up but chivvy her along too

She coped very well with her Scottish tour and then singing in America

She will always have her issues. But hopefully her singing will still be what she wants

kandj

kandj Report 13 Dec 2013 11:02

Susan is very gifted with her voice and I just hope and pray that she will have the people who will give her the support and help she needs to continue in her career.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Dec 2013 13:43

Asperger's was so misunderstood for years - thank goodness it is now recognised

Joeva

Joeva Report 13 Dec 2013 17:37

How sad it was to hear her agreeing with her assistant who said ' the trouble is that Susan thinks she doesn't deserve what she has'. Or words to that effect. :-(

Obviously the treatment by others throughout her life has made her feel worthless. :-(

No wonder she has emotional issues. I hope that the counselling she is receiving to overcome her fears will enable her to enjoy the fame she has achieved and find the happiness she so much deserves. <3

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 13 Dec 2013 18:06

l have'nt seen the programme yet, although l did watch the Fern Brittan one a couple of weeks ago. She's amazing and although she has had such a rough time with all the publicity and people taking advantage of her, which sadly lead her to have a breakdown and spend some time at the Priory. I think now she is on the right road and has the right people doing the right thing for her. Her family are brilliant and she adores singing, in away all that has happened since BGT as awful as it was for her, has also helped her to be who she is today:)) <3

She will always have support and the finances to help her through her life, so deserved....xxxx

jude xx

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 Dec 2013 21:47

Thanks for your comments everyone.... :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Dec 2013 07:42

I just watched the recording I made of the programme and was very impressed with the care given her by her team. She is still very down to earth and did very well to face those concerts and get through them well enough to increase her confidence levels. I love the way she goes to buy her frocks from an ordinary store instead of spending a fortune having them made for her etc, and she has her hair coloured at home too, no expensive salons for her.

I hope Susan will have many more happy years singing as she loves to do and will always have good friends and family around to help protect her interests.

Well done Susan, who would have thought you would come so far? Your voice is as lovely as when you first appeared on tv.

Lizx

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 14 Dec 2013 17:59

of course she will be supported by her "team" she is their cash cow ;-)