General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

just where does this phone code

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 13 Dec 2013 14:56

come from? Four times in past three weeks has my phone been rung by this number. Twice, I got there at last minute, thridly we were out but no message left and this morning on the second ring I got it and as soon as I answered phone went dead.

Bit concerned now.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Dec 2013 14:57

Have you checked on line where the code is located?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Dec 2013 14:59

If you put either the full number or just the area code into Google it will tell you where the number is from.

Kath. x

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Dec 2013 15:18

Sounds like one of the rogue PPI Claims crowd or one of the rogue Motor Accident crowd - they are so annoying, there are sites where you can report nuisance calls, that said, that does not seem to stop them calling :-|

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 13 Dec 2013 15:30

I had four calls earlier this week from India (well, it sounded from there). Something about insurance for Sky.

I told the nice young ladies four times that I had no TV. I did have a radio and wondered if I could receive Sky on my radio. Each time I was transferred to a man (who still sounded very nice).

When I repeated my query to him, the line somehow went dead each time (bit rude, I thought) and have not had a call since Wednesday. Here's hoping. But it is a good game. :-) ;-)

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 13 Dec 2013 15:31

just googled it - says USA -I do not know the number - thank you all for suggestions

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Dec 2013 15:37

Do as I do - keep a whistle by the phone and any nuisance callers just give them a good blast on the whistle ;-)

Island

Island Report 13 Dec 2013 18:54

I believe some of these calls are automated and register what time of day you answer the phone to save paying a human to make 'wasted calls'. Once they know when you are most likely to be in a person will try their luck at selling you something you don't want or need.

Bloomin' nuisance and a worry for folk on their own :-|

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 13 Dec 2013 20:09

I have caller ID on my phone and if I do not know the number I ignore it. If it is anything vital people leave me a message on the answerphone which is on all the time. I then call them back. SIMPLES :-D :-D :-D :-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 13 Dec 2013 23:04

Try putting the number on this site. It's free and quite good and finding who called you

http://whocallsme.com

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 13 Dec 2013 23:09

Thanks Sunshine - will try

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Dec 2013 00:09

We had the calls about owing money for adverising.

I had enough information out of the guy to suss out which town it might be coming from (Bolton) and the number the call came from.

The police were not interested in any way and neither were BT.